A number of waterwise resources and curriculum units have been developed to help students learn about living sustainably.
These lesson plans, activities and background information for primary and middle years support the Australian Curriculum.
- Year 2 unit: wonder of water
- Year 4 unit: are we living sustainably?
- Year 6 lesson sequence: water is special
- Year 7 unit: water cycles
- Year 7 lesson sequence: mapping our waterway
- Year 7 lesson sequence: explaining our catchment
- Year 7 guide: visualising water quality
Cross-curriculum priority: sustainability
Water: Learn it for life!
These previously developed units provide engaging lesson plans and activities for year 1-7 students which address the water cycle, water conservation, water sources and storage, water efficiency and alternative water sources.
Whizzy’s children’s books
- Whizzy’s incredible journeys: pick-a-path book tells about four separate journeys in which Whizzy the waterdrop travels through the water cycle and into the home. It can be used in both the Year 2 and Year 7 Science units.
- Whizzy’s new adventures: journey through the pipes takes Whizzy on two different adventures to help explain how water is treated as it travels to the home and then returns to the environment.
Queensland councils and schools can order free copies of the Whizzy books by emailing their contact and postal details to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following posters complement the curriculum resources.
- The water cycle uses the water cycle to illustrate the precious nature of water and links well to Whizzy’s Incredible Journey book.
- Total water cycle management provides a more detailed depiction of the water cycle, including treatment and wastewater treatment. It links well to Whizzy’s New Adventures book.
- Inland water cycle shows how the water cycle operates inland where groundwater is a common source of water.
- Bucket loads of savings shows a range of Waterwise behaviours in a vibrant and engaging format. A brochure is available for printing and files can be emailed upon request.
- Whizzy’s water saving tips this A3 poster depicts six different water saving scenarios and complements lessons and activities that address water conservation. These posters are available in electronic format only.
Queensland councils and schools can order free copies of the water cycle and buckets posters by emailing their contact and postal details to: email@example.com with a request for the number and type of poster.
Activity sheets and stickers
The following activity sheets and stickers are available in pdf format by emailing your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Word search
- Make your own waterwise badge
- Saving water at home
- I’m a water saver (join the dots)
- Bucket loads of savings (join the dots)
- Brush up, be waterwse (join the dots)
- Hi, I’m Whizzy (join the dots)
- Whizzy’s waterwise jigsaw offers another activity to engage students.
- Whizzy A4 sticker sheet – has a range of small and medium sized stickers to promote waterwise behaviours.
- Round Whizzy sticker.
We gratefully acknowledge the support of the Australian Academy of Science, and the Toowoomba Regional Council, in the development of these resources.
Downloadable Whizzy images are royalty free. They may be used for non-commercial educational purposes. For other uses, please acknowledge the Queensland Government.