Did you know you can now apply online for school transport assistance? One form using any device for up to 5 children. It's that simple and convenient. First check if you're eligible using the information on the school transport assistance webpage. Gather any information that you need to complete your application. Confirm the transport operators if your child is travelling by bus or ferry. Then accept the terms and conditions and start the online form.Don't worry if you can't complete the form all at once. You can save your details for up to 7 days. Once it's submitted you'll be given an ID number to keep track of your application. When it's been processed you'll be notified of the outcome. Our website has all the information you need. So let's get started. Visit www.qld.gov.au/schooltransportassistance
Apply for school transport assistance
Private transport (conveyance applications)
As a guide only, to be eligible for private transport (conveyance) allowance:
- primary school students must live more than 3.2 km from the nearest state primary school
- secondary school students must live more than 4.8 km from the nearest state secondary school
- non-state school students must live more than the required distances above from both the nearest state and non-state school of the type attended.
Please note: You may not be eligible if there is a school transport bus service operating in your area. If unsure of school transport bus services in your area, please contact your local TransLink office.
It can take a number of weeks for your application to be assessed. You will be advised by mail of the outcome.
A little preparation before you start your application will make filling out the online form a straightforward activity. We recommend you:
- watch the applying online for school transport assistance animation for an overview of the application process and some useful tips to help you
- find out the type of assistance available to apply for online
- read the terms and conditions and make sure you are eligible to apply.
When ready find how to apply online.
If you don't have access to the internet or a computer check with your school or local library for access or you can complete a paper application for the type of assistance needed.
Overview of the application process
Terms and conditions
- Applications are only accepted for the current school year.
- Applications can be submitted for the next school year from 1st October.
- A new application is required when any of the following changes occur:
- a student changes school or residential address during the year
- the student's mode of transport or travel pattern changes (for example, frequency of travel)
- the student moves from primary to secondary school.
- Bus and ferry travel approval issued by the operator is interim approval only. Final approval for assistance can only be granted by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
- The Department of Transport and Main Roads will advise successful applicants in writing. Unsuccessful applicants should be advised by the school travel operator nominated in their submitted application.
Types of assistance available in the online application
You can apply online for the following types of assistance:
- Bus and ferry transport (including Safety-net)
- Rail transport (including G:Link)
- Private transport (conveyance allowance)
- Drought (additional conveyance allowance)
The following types of assistance aren't available online:
- Students with disability—find out more about applying
- Assistance for English as a Second Language (ESL) students—contact your school to apply
- Year 10 bypass—apply using the application form
- Texas to Stanthorpe conveyance allowance—apply using the application form
Applications for students under child protection
Students may be eligible for school transport assistance if they:
- have parents/guardians who are residents of Queensland
- are independent students who are residents of Queensland
- attend an approved school or an alternative program approved by the Queensland Department of Education
- are younger than 19 years of age prior to commencing secondary study
- are seeking transport assistance from one residential address and to one school facility
- this address must be the principal place of residence of the student’s parent or guardian
- for students with shared custody, parents must select one address to be used to assess STAS eligibility. For shared custody arrangements, the principal place of residence of only one parent/guardian can be nominated. It is the responsibility of parents/guardians to determine the principal place of residence used to assess eligibility for STAS.
- are travelling more than 1 trip per week.
Students are not eligible to apply for school transport assistance if they are:
- pre-prep and kindergarten students
- mature age students
- overseas, interstate and exchange students
- TAFE students
- distance education students
- tertiary students.
Before you apply online
You can apply online for assistance for different modes of transport including train, bus, ferry, private transport, and travel with multiple school transport operators.
Before you start your online application:
- Collect the relevant information you need, such as:
- watch the applying online for school transport assistance animation
- read the terms and conditions and eligibility
- Centrelink Pension, Healthcare or Department of Veterans Affairs concession card details for yourself and student/s (if applying for safety-net assistance)
- your bank account details including BSB, account number and name, and bank address (if applying for private transport assistance)
- electronic document files to support claims for drought assistance and independent student status.
- Work out the distance from your residence to the closest state school and attending school (if this is different to the closest state school).
- Confirm the school transport operator/s if your child is travelling by bus or ferry.
- During the application you will be asked to confirm you have read and understood the terms and conditions and eligibility requirements detailed on this page and the introduction to the online application. Penalties may apply for false information.
- You can save a draft of your application for a maximum of 7 days.
- Keep a record of application ID and PIN to retrieve your application.
- After 7 days your application will be discarded, and you will need to start a new application.
- You can enter details for up to 5 children—a new online application is required for additional children.
- You can apply for up to 2 bus and ferry operators per child on the same application form—a third operator will need a new application form.
- You will need to fill out a new application if you have changes to the following:
- residential address
- mode of transport
- frequency of travel
- or move from primary to secondary school.
- Your bus operator can let you know pick up and drop off points and times for the transport journey
- The ability to print a completed application is not available on Apple mobile devices.
Completed the preparation? You’re ready to start and can use any computer, laptop or mobile device.
Save and retrieve an application
You can save, exit and retrieve your application form to return and complete it at a later time.
Make sure you keep the following information to retrieve a saved application:
- application ID
- secure PIN
- email you used in the application
- surname of the applicant.
After you submit an application
You will receive confirmation of submission of your application by SMS or email, using the details you provided in the online form.
Your application will be assessed:
- Successful notifications will be advised in writing by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
- Unsuccessful applications will be advised by the school transport operator nominated in the application.
More information and help with your application
Your school transport operator will also be able to provide you with information, contact your nearest school transport office.
Paper forms can be accessed on the TransLink website, under the heading Types of assistance.