Fishing in stocked impoundments
Before you go fishing in a Queensland impoundment (dam or weir), check the list below to see if you need to purchase a Stocked Impoundment Permit (SIP).
There are 63 stocked impoundments in the state where a SIP is required to fish.
The permit covers access to all 63 impoundments and allows you to fish with recreational fishing lines only.
About the permit
- $10.00 per week
- $50.00 per year
- $36.00 per year if you are entitled to a discount*
* You are entitled to a discount if you have a Queensland Government Seniors Card, Pensioner Concession Card, Health Care Card or a Repatriation Health Care Card (Gold Card).
All persons over the age of 18 years must hold a permit when fishing in SIPS impoundments. Children and teenagers under 18 years do not require a permit to fish in SIPS impoundments.
You must carry your permit (digital email, digital sms, paper receipt) with you when fishing in a stocked impoundment and produce it on request by QBFP.
No need to print out your permit. A digital permit will instantly be emailed and/or sms to you when a permit is purchased online, at selected sub-agent outlets and over the phone.
A digital permit will also be emailed within 24 hours of purchase when a permit is purchased over the counter via Australia Post outlets.
Purchase a permit
A SIP can be purchased:
- over the counter at Queensland and selected NSW Australia Post outlets
- at selected sub-agent outlets throughout the state.
- via phone on 1300 575 359 (permit purchases only, for general SIPS enquiries phone 13 25 23).
Funds raised by stocked impoundment permits
Impoundments are 'put, grow and take' fisheries where most stocked species will not reproduce. This means the impoundments need to be stocked regularly.
The money anglers pay for their stocked impoundment permits goes towards enhancing recreational fishing in stocked impoundments and management of the scheme.
The following financial summaries provide details about permit sales, the scheme’s budget and how the funds available for fish stocking were allocated for the financial year:
- 2015–16 financial summary
- 2014–15 financial summary
- 2013–14 financial summary
- 2012–13 financial summary
- 2011–12 financial summary