Apply for a crowd controller licence

A crowd controller keeps order at a public place. They can:

  • screen the entry of people into a place
  • monitor or control their behaviour while inside
  • remove people for bad behaviour.

You need to hold a current licence to do this job. To become licensed, you must:

  • meet the eligibility criteria
  • complete your training and attach proof of qualifications
  • fill out and lodge the application form.

You will need a crowd controller licence if you work:

  • as security at a licensed premises such as a hotel or club
  • as security staff at public sporting events, a restaurant, or a shopping centre.

You don’t need a licence if you:

Application for a security provider licence: Individual - Class 1 (PDF, 241KB)


To be eligible for a licence, you must:

  • be 18 years or older
  • not pose a risk to public safety
  • pass the required training course.

You are not eligible for a licence if you have been convicted of a disqualifying offence in the past 10 years, where a conviction was recorded

You must also tell us if you have been found guilty of a disqualifying offence in the past 5 years, where a conviction was not recorded (this is known as an ‘unrecorded finding of guilt’). We may ask you for further information so we can assess if you are a suitable person to hold a licence.



When you lodge the form, you will need to attach 100 points of formal identification. These documents must be either original (if lodged at the counter) or certified copies.

Your identification must include at least 1 of the following 5 documents:

  • Birth certificate or extract
  • Passport
  • ImmiCard
  • A driver’s licence
  • An 18+ card.

You may also need to include some of the following documents to make up your 100 points:

  • Citizenship certificate
  • An ID card
  • A social security card
  • A letter from your employer
  • Any other official letter, card or statement listed on the application form.

You will need to pay certain fees when you lodge your application. These include:

  • the licence fee (as listed on the form)
  • a criminal history check fee of $39.20
  • a fingerprinting fee of $100.


By law, the police need to fingerprint all security providers. We will contact you after you lodge your application form to explain what you need to do.

Get more details

Criminal history check

To confirm your suitability, we will submit your application for a criminal history check. This will be thorough and may be time consuming.

If you were born in New Zealand or have a New Zealand passport, you need to get a copy of your criminal history or a letter indicating you have no criminal history from New Zealand. For more information, visit the New Zealand Ministry of Justice website.

You don’t have to pay any fees to get a New Zealand criminal history check. We can only accept original documents dated within one month of the date you send them to us. Please note it takes 20 working days to process a request for a New Zealand criminal history check.

Processing time

The processing time is 4–6 weeks. This can take longer if you have not supplied us with the all the information we need or you have not paid the correct fees.


Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund if:

  • you withdraw your application
  • we refuse your application.

You may also get a refund on the fees for:

  • fingerprinting
  • your criminal history check.


You need to do your training through a registered training organisation. Use the My Skills website to find a training provider.

Refresher courses (TR)

Some course modules include the code 'TR' in their names. This stands for 'triennial revalidation', and you will need to resit these modules every 3 years.

These modules will:

  • be very important for your work
  • constantly update their content to stay up-to-date with the latest techniques.

When we send you your licence, we will give you the expiry dates for each TR course on the licence certificate. You must complete a refresher course in each before these dates.

We will not recognise any prior learning for these units.

Full course list

Please note: as of 1 July 2014, we no longer accept course modules from the Asset Security Training Package (PRS03).

The PRS-coded modules are out of date. You must pass all the training under the 2011 Property Services Training Package (CPP07).

The CPP course must include all of the following modules.

Name of course module Module code
Control access to and exit from premises CPPSEC2011A
Monitor and control individual and crowd behaviour CPPSEC2012A
Operate basic security equipment CPPSEC2014A
Patrol premises CPPSEC2015A
Determine response to security risk situation CPPSEC3003A
Manage conflict through negotiation (TR) CPPSEC3002A
Maintain security of environment CPPSEC3007A
Control persons using empty hand techniques (TR) CPPSEC3013A

Your first aid training must be current. You must pass 1 course from the following table.

Name of course module Module code
Apply first aid (TR)
Provide First Aid (TR)

If you did the first aid training more than 12 months ago, you must also have done a CPR component in the last 12 months. It must be the following course .

Name of course module Module code
Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation HLTAID001

You must also pass 1 course from each of the following tables.

Name of course module Module code
Communicate effectively in the security industry CPPSEC2001A
Prepare and present security documentation and reports CPPSEC3005A
Name of course module Module code
Follow workplace safety procedures in the security industry CPPSEC2002A
Maintain workplace safety in the security industry CPPSEC3001A
Name of course module Module code
Work effectively in the security industry CPPSEC2003A
Organise personal work priorities and development BSBWOR301B 
Name of course module Module code
Work as part of a security team CPPSEC2005A
Contribute to effective workplace relationships BSBFLM302A
Name of course module Module code
Provide security services to clients CPPSEC2006A
Coordinate a quality security service to customers CPPSEC3006A

Restricted licences

You can apply for a restricted licence. This will let you finish your training as you work, as long as you’re supervised by a fully licensed provider of the same licence class.

A restricted licence only lasts for a term of 6 months. Before this time expires, you must:

  • complete the training requirements
  • apply for an unrestricted licence.

You cannot apply for an extension of a restricted licence.


A supervising crowd controller must:

  • remain in the same location as the restricted licence holder (in their line of sight, if practical)
  • be able to immediately assist them (if needed)
  • give them detailed written instructions about the job
  • write down all the tasks that the licensee performs
  • regularly check their progress (include written notes)
  • supervise no more than 3 restricted licence holders at any time.