Register as a motor salesperson

You must be registered to work as a salesperson for a motor dealer. You must meet all criteria before we can issue a registration certificate.

Application for a motor salesperson registration certificate

You can also apply online for a registration certificate.

Please note: you may only register if you work as an employee. If you are a contractor, you must have a full licence.

Authorised activities

On behalf of a licensed motor dealer, you may:

  • sell a used vehicle (including its parts)
  • obtain a used vehicle (including vehicle parts) to sell, either as a complete unit or in parts
  • sell a used vehicle on behalf of another person (on consignment)
  • sell a leased vehicle to the lessee under the terms of the lease
  • negotiate on a person’s behalf for that person to buy or sell a used motor vehicle.

You may not operate as a motor salesperson before we issue your registration. It is an offence to operate as a motor salesperson while unregistered.

The only exception to this rule is if:

  • you are offering a vehicle for sale as a private individual (not as a business operator or employee)
  • the sale is not a part of a business operation (for instance, making a sale for the purpose of earning profit).

You may not:

  • work as an independent operator, including as a contractor
  • be in charge of a place of business
  • do any motor dealing work on behalf of a corporation while serving as a director of a motor dealer corporation
  • conduct any auctions
  • operate a trust account.


To be eligible for registration, you must:

  • be 18 or older
  • pass the required training courses.


You are not suitable to hold a motor salesperson registration if you:

  • are currently disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate
  • have been convicted of a serious offence within the past 5 years
  • are subject to a court issued control order because of involvement in serious criminal activity.

We also consider if you:

  • have a criminal history
  • were the subject of a successful claim fund action
  • have had your licence or registration certification cancelled or been suspended from holding one
  • have been previously disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate
  • are disqualified from being a company director
  • are an insolvent under administration
  • are incapable of satisfactorily doing the job of a registration certificate holder
  • are unsuitable because of your character
  • are allowed to work in Australia.

Serious offences

A serious offence is anything punishable by 3 or more years in prison, including:

  • violent offences (including threats to use violence)
  • fraud and dishonesty
  • drug trafficking
  • extortion
  • arson
  • unlawful stalking
  • offences of a sexual nature
  • new offences under Queensland’s Criminal Code of
    • recruiting a person to participate in a criminal organisation
    • consorting
  • an offence committed with a serious organised crime circumstance of aggravation applicable to a prescribed list of offences within the meaning of the Penalties and Sentences Act 1992 .

Insolvent under administration

If you are an insolvent under administration, you must give us written details of the following:

  • how you became an insolvent under administration (if this was your business, advise the type of business)
  • what steps you took to avoid going into insolvency
  • how much you owe to each creditor (list them all by name and amount)
  • whether you faced any charges relating to the insolvency.

You will also need to include a letter from your current employer that:

  • is on their company letterhead
  • outlines your role within the company
  • states if you will be in a position to significantly influence how they manage their business.


If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you need to:

  • give us a certified copy of your passport
  • have a visa that allows you to work in Australia.


When you lodge the form, you will need to attach formal identification. These documents must be original or certified copies.

Your identification must be a certified copy of any of the following documents:

  • Birth certificate or extract
  • Driver licence
  • Passport
  • Citizenship certificate

You will need to pay certain fees when you lodge your application. These include:

  • the registration fee of $354.00 for 1 year or $601.50 for 3 years
  • a criminal history check fee of $39.55.

Criminal history check

To confirm your suitability, we will submit your application for a criminal history check. This will be thorough and may be time consuming.

If you were born in New Zealand or have a New Zealand passport, you need to get a copy of your criminal history or a letter indicating you have no criminal history from New Zealand. For more information, visit the New Zealand Ministry of Justice website.

You don’t have to pay any fees to get a New Zealand criminal history check. We can only accept original documents dated within one month of the date you send them to us. Please note it takes 20 working days to process a request for a New Zealand criminal history check.

Processing time

The processing time is 4–6 weeks. This can take longer if your application is not complete. This might be because of:

  • missing information
  • unpaid fees.

We will contact you if you have submitted an incomplete application. You will need to complete the application before we can proceed. Otherwise, we may withdraw your application.


Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a partial refund if:

  • you withdraw your application
  • we refuse your application.

You may also get a refund on the fee for your criminal history check if it hasn’t been started yet.


You must pass these training subjects from a recognised provider. The only exception is if you’ve held an equivalent certificate within the past 2 years.

You must complete either of the lists of modules below, taken from:

  • Automotive Retail, Service and Repair Training Package—AUR modules

Anything earlier than this is obsolete (e.g. AUR99, AUR05, or AUR 12 modules).

We will not recognise these packages as recent enough training to qualify for this registration certificate.

Find a training provider in Queensland.

AUR modules

If you do this training course, you need to pass all modules from either of the following tables.

Course code Name of course
AURSCA003 Apply sales procedures in an automotive workplace
AURSLA001 Comply with legal requirements when selling automotive products and services
AURASA002 Follow safe working practices in an automotive workplace
Communicate effectively in an automotive workplace
Contribute to quality work outcomes in an automotive workplace
AURACA001 Respond to customer needs and enquiries in an automotive workplace


Course code Name of course
AURSCA103 Apply sales procedures in an automotive workplace
AURSLA001 Comply with legal requirements when selling automotive products and services
AURASA102 Follow safe working practices in an automotive workplace
Communicate effectively in an automotive workplace
Contribute to quality work outcomes in an automotive workplace
AURACA101 Respond to customer needs and enquiries in an automotive workplace

Student visa holders

It is an offence under the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 for a registered training organisation to provide training to an international student on a student visa, unless the training organisation holds registration on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Therefore, if you are in Australia on a student visa, you must make sure that the training organisation where you complete your training holds CRICOS registration.

Please note, training for each specified unit of competency must be completed through the CRICOS registered training provider. We will not accept a training certificate issued by a CRICOS registered training provider as a result of a credit transfer.