Interstate working with children checks

Blue cards are issued under Queensland legislation as an initiative of the Queensland Government.

This means we have different rules and requirements for working with children than the other states.

Using another state’s card in Queensland

We do not recognise working with children checks conducted outside of Queensland.

If you are working in Queensland in regulated child-related employment for not more than 7 days in a calendar year, you won't need a blue card.

However, you can’t work in restricted employment if you are a restricted person under the Working with Children (Risk Management and Screening) Act 2000.

Using a blue card in other states

Working with children checks are managed by states or territories according to their local legislation.

Each state or territory has their own information about screening requirements and how to contact them:

NDIS and disability worker screening check

The NDIS worker screening clearance is recognised across all states and territories in Australia.

If you have an interstate NDIS worker screening clearance and will be working with children in Queensland, you will need to apply for a blue card using the usual process.

Learn more from Disability Services.