Skip links and keyboard navigation

Changing your child's name before they turn 18

In Queensland, you can change your child’s first name once before their first birthday and once between the ages of 1 and 18. You can change your child’s family name once every 12 months.

If your application is approved, you will need to change your child's name everywhere they are registered in the community.

You can apply to change your child’s name with us if your child was:

  • born or adopted in Queensland
  • born or adopted overseas but has lived in Queensland for the past 12 months.

See changing your child’s first name within a year of birth to find out how to apply to change your child’s first name before they turn 1.

If your child was born or adopted in another Australian state or territory, you need to apply to the registering authority interstate.

Fill in the changing your child's name application form

Rules for changing your child’s names

To change your child’s names between 1 and 18:

  • your child’s first name must never have been changed before, or only before their first birthday
  • your child’s family name must not have been changed in the past 12 months
  • both parents on your child’s birth certificate must consent to changing the name
  • the new names must not be prohibited names
  • you must give a detailed reason for your child’s name change—for example, you might have remarried and want your child to have your new family name, or your child’s current name might be difficult for people to spell and pronounce. Writing ‘personal’ or ‘passport’ is not enough and we may need to return your application.

Prohibited names

It is your right to choose your child’s first names and family name. However, the Registrar-General may refuse to register a name that is:

  • obscene
  • offensive
  • too long
  • not in public interest
  • a statement (e.g. Save Mother Earth).

Who can apply

If both parents are shown on a child’s birth registration, we normally need both parents’ consent to change a child’s name.

If you are a single parent, you can apply to change your child’s name if one of the following is relevant to your circumstance:

  • you are the child’s mother and there are no details for your child’s father on the birth certificate
  • you have Queensland Magistrates Court order
  • one parent is deceased. A death certificate will be required.

If you are a legal guardian, you can apply to change the child’s name if you have:

  • evidence of legal guardianship, plus
  • a Queensland Magistrates Court order.

Please contact us for more information on getting an order.

Documents you will need to provide

Parents or guardians must be able to provide proof of ID and supporting documents. If you or your child have previously changed your names, evidence is required—a marriage certificate, family deed poll document, or birth or change of name document.

If your child was born or adopted overseas, you also need to provide:

  • a copy of your child’s birth or adoption certificate (if the original birth certificate is not in English, please have it translated into English by an accredited translator)
  • a copy of your child’s citizenship (if applicable)
  • evidence that your child has lived in Queensland for the past 12 months, such as a letter written on letterhead, dated and signed by your child’s school, employer, day care or doctor. The letter should state how long your child has lived in Queensland and how long the person or organisation has known your child.

Certified and translated identity documents

If you are not applying in person, you must have the supporting documents you provide certified by a qualified Justice of the Peace or another authorised person before you post them to us.

For documents that are not in English, you must provide a translation from a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).

How to apply

To apply to change your child’s name, you need to:

  1. Read and understand the rules.
  2. Complete, download and print the change of name application form.
  3. Attach your certified proof of ID documents.
  4. Attach certified evidence of residency for your child, if required.
  5. Attach the correct certified supporting documents, as required.
  6. Get another adult to witness your signatures on the declaration section of the application form.
  7. Pay the application fee.
  8. Submit your application form and supporting documents to us by post or at the counter.

By post

Post your completed application form with your certified documents to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

In person

Visit the Brisbane registry counter at Level 32, 180 Ann Street, Brisbane with your completed application form, original evidence of residency (if your child was born overseas) and proof of ID and other supporting documents (for both parents).

Pay the fee

You will need to work out the total cost of your order and make sure to pay the correct amount.
You can pay:

  • at the counter
    • by EFTPOS or credit card
    • with cash
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order
  • through the mail
    • by credit card
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order.

Make cheques and money orders payable to 'Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages'.

We do not accept personal cheques.

Application fees

Change of name (includes 1 birth or change of name certificate) $177.40

Urgent application fee

We process standard change of name applications in 7 business days. You can pay an additional $93.15 fee to get your application processed urgently—within 3 working days.

Postage fees

Standard postage is included in the price when you order a certificate to be sent by mail.

You can request to have your certificate posted by express or registered post for a fee.

Express post $6.10
Registered mail $4.90
International registered post $15.90

Fill in the changing your child's name application form

Contact us

Email, we reply to online enquiries within 2 business days.

Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
International +61 7 3405 0985 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.

Get the PDF form

If you are unable to complete the application form online, you can use the PDF application form and apply by post or in person.

Get the change of name under 18 years application form

What next?

If you application is approved, you will need to contact every organisation your child is registered with.

Start by making a list. Your list may include:

  • Medicare
  • school
  • doctors/dentist
  • insurance policies
  • your will
  • bank accounts
  • memberships
  • others
Last updated
4 August 2017
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.