Graduate eligibility and how to apply
The Queensland Government values diversity and is committed to building and inclusive and diverse workforce that better reflects the community we serve. We encourage registrations from all disciplines and backgrounds.
To be considered for all Queensland Government graduate programs, you'll need to express your interest with the Queensland Government Graduate Portal. If you're applying for a nurse or midwife graduate program, visit the Nursing and Midwifery Graduate Portal.
To be eligible for the Queensland Government Graduate Portal, at minimum you must:
- hold Australian or New Zealand citizenship (residing in Australia) or Australian permanent residency
- hold a valid residency visa (if applying for a temporary position)
- have completed an associate degree, bachelor degree or postgraduate degree within the last 2–3 years
- submit a copy of your current academic transcript and curriculum vitae with your registration.
If you hold an overseas qualification, you'll need to be assessed by the Overseas Qualifications Unit and attach this assessment to your application.
Individual graduate programs may have additional criteria you must meet to be eligible, such as location, which are communicated with candidates.
Expression of interest process
How to express your interest
If you have previously expressed your interest with the Queensland Government Graduate Portal or registered with SmartJobs—the Queensland Government's online jobs board—you can log in using your existing username (email) and password. If you have forgotten your password use the 'I forgot my password' function and follow the steps.
If you are a first time user, you will need to create an account.
To ensure your expression of interest is successful and to be invited to apply for available graduate programs, you should include:
- a curriculum vitae
- an academic transcript, GPA and preferred disciplines—if your preferred discipline is not listed, select Other and enter your discipline.
Update your expression of interest
To update your details, login to the Queensland Government Graduate Portal and:
- select the appropriate registration form you want to update
- click 'Modify application' at the bottom of the page.
Withdraw your expression of interest
To withdraw your expression of interest, login to the Queensland Government Graduate Portal and:
- tick the appropriate registration form
- click 'Withdraw application'.
If you accidentally withdraw your expression of interest, you will need to complete a new form.
After your expression of interest
Once you have registered your interest, you are placed into a talent pool for graduate opportunities. Agency program coordinators will review the pool of applicants as recruitment is carried out through the year. If you are eligible, you will be invited to apply. Graduate program application processes may include:
- online testing
- written application
- phone, video or face-to-face interview
- visiting an assessment centre
- referee checks.
Agencies may also contact you about graduate entry-level roles and student opportunities at any time of year.
If your application to an opportunity is unsuccessful, you will receive an email directly from the agency. You can also request feedback on your application from the agency's program coordinator.
Your expression of interest will remain current in the Queensland Government Graduate Portal until the end of the calendar year. You will need to complete a new registration to be considered for future graduate programs.