Hardship payment for casual workers and eligible employees with coronavirus (COVID-19)
$1,500 Hardship Payment
Date announced: 23 October 2020
The $1,500 Hardship Payment is now offered to Queenslanders through the Australian Government's Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment. If you live in Queensland and, on or after 7 October 2020, you have been issued with a Quarantine or Isolation Direction requiring you or your child in your care to stay at a stated place to help assist in containing or responding to the spread of COVID-19, go to Services Australia for more information on how to claim this payment.
For casual workers and eligible employees who have tested positive to COVID-19 between 5 June 2020 and 6 October 2020, please refer to the below Hardship Payment eligibility criteria, guidelines and application process.
This hardship payment from the Queensland Government is available for eligible casual employees of businesses trading in Queensland, as well as eligible employees who have exhausted their sick leave entitlements, and who contract coronavirus (COVID-19) outside of their workplace.
From 5 June 2020 to 6 October 2020, a payment of $1,500 is available to eligible Queensland workers who may face financial hardship through enforced quarantine if they contract COVID-19 outside of their workplace.
To be eligible you must have tested positive to COVID-19 between 5 June 2020 and 6 October 2020, and been required to self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days.
Eligible workers must:
- be aged 15 years and over
- not be at school
- live permanently in Queensland
- be an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen, Australian permanent resident (includes humanitarian entrant), or temporary resident with the necessary visa and work permits on the pathway to permanent residency
- be a casual employee of a business trading in Queensland or be a full-time or part-time employee of a business trading in Queensland who has no entitlement to further sick leave or pandemic leave
- not receiving the JobKeeper payment or any other Australian Government income support
- not eligible to receive the Australian Government's pandemic leave disaster payment.
Individuals who have not tested positive but were required to quarantine for 14 days due to returning from overseas, interstate or for other reasons are not eligible for the payment.
Individuals who contract COVID-19 within their workplace are also not eligible.
How to apply
To apply, you must complete the application form and submit supporting evidence.
Complete the following steps.
- Read the guidelines for details of eligibility and evidence requirements.
- Complete your application form.
- Gather your supporting evidence, including:
- medical certificate and/or verification from Queensland Health
- employer details
- evidence of casual employment or that you have exhausted your sick leave entitlements
- evidence of your current address in Queensland
- evidence of Australian or New Zealand citizenship or being an eligible visa holder.
- Email your completed application form and supporting documentation to email@example.com.
If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19, you can phone the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training on 1300 654 687 for more information.