Reporting disruptive behaviour

How do I make a complaint about disruptive behaviour by a public housing tenant?

We take all complaints about disruptive behaviour by public housing tenants seriously and thoroughly investigate each incident in a fair and reasonable manner. When we confirm that an incident of disruptive behaviour has occurred, the appropriate action will be taken.

To report incidents of disruptive behaviour, contact your nearest Housing Service Centre.

We can only investigate disruptive behaviour that may be a breach of the tenant's State tenancy agreement or obligations under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008.

Some complaints must first be reported to the relevant authority. For instance, suspected illegal activity must be reported to the police and certain matters must be reported to your local Council, including: excessive dog barking, dangerous or roaming dogs and cars blocking the footpath. In some instances these authorities may ask us to help them to resolve a complaint.

Where there is a dispute between neighbours, the Department of Justice and Attorney General’s Dispute Resolution Service may be able to assist. Where there is a dispute between neighbours, we will not normally get involved except where required to do so under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008. You can find out more about resolving neighbourhood disputes be viewing information on Housing and neighbours.

If you do not wish to talk about the matter with Housing Service Centre staff, or if they are unable to resolve your complaint, you can submit your complaint using our online form.

How do I report suspected illegal activity at a public housing property?

We cannot investigate criminal offences. The police must be contacted about suspected illegal activity at the property. Examples of behaviour that must be reported to the police include: a neighbour being either physically or verbally harassed by another neighbour, threats with weapons, domestic violence, suspected illegal drug activity, stalking and theft.

If you do not wish to make a complaint to the police, you can notify your local Housing Service Centre who will contact the police.

Can I make an anonymous complaint?

Yes. Complaints can be made anonymously. When we investigate and take action in response to complaints, any personal information we collect is handled in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld). If you request that your complaint be treated confidentially, we will take all reasonable steps to protect your identity.

What if I am dissatisfied with how my complaint was handled?

If you are not satisfied with how your complaint was managed, you can ask the Housing Service Centre for an internal review. The internal review is completed by an officer independent of the original investigator and a formal written response is provided.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the internal review, you can seek an external review by the Queensland Ombudsman.

Why have some public housing tenants not been evicted for their disruptive behaviour?

We investigate all complaints of disruptive behaviour thoroughly and fairly, giving tenants the opportunity to respond. Tenants can have a support person or advocate help them with this process.

We can only take action after being satisfied that the disruptive behaviour has occurred and that the complaint relates to a tenancy matter that the department is responsible for. In some cases, we are not able to confirm that an incident of disruptive behaviour has occurred. We must also ensure we have provided the tenant with a reasonable chance to address their behaviour. We may take a range of other actions to help the tenant address their behaviour and maintain their tenancy, including referral to a support worker or agency, closely monitoring the tenancy, or listing the household for a transfer to a different, more suitable public housing property.

More information