Looking after your aids and equipment
The Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) will pay for repairs and maintenance arising from reasonable 'wear and tear' to aids on permanent loan.
MASS will not pay for repairs to aids provided by Community Aids, Equipment and Assistive Technologies Initiative (CAEATI), the Vehicle Options Subsidy Scheme (VOSS), or aids where the ownership was transferred to you. You will need to pay for these repairs.
Make sure you read the operation manuals given by the supplier. If you have questions about looking after your device, please contact the supplier.
Repairs and maintenance
If something happens to your aid, contact MASS as soon as possible. You will need to provide the MASS plaque number and describe the repairs that are needed. The MASS service centre will then issue a repair order.
Contact MASS or your prescriber if a communication aid is irreparable or unsafe to use. You may need to be reassessed for a replacement aid. While you are waiting, ask your clinician for available options as MASS is unable to provide temporary aids.
If you are travelling within Australia, contact MASS for approval for repairs at your current location. MASS will not pay transport or freight costs.
MASS will not pay for repairs for:
- privately-owned aids or accessories
- aids that have been replaced with another MASS-subsidised aid
- aids and equipment subsidised by CAEATI or VOSS
- aids paid for privately and/or without prior authorisation by MASS
- damage caused by inappropriate use of an aid
- damage caused to an aid by lack of maintenance and cleaning
- accidental destruction, loss or neglect of an aid
- aid cleaning
- repairs done by supplier that have not been authorised by MASS
- travel to the repairer
- alternative arrangements while the aid is being repaired.
Returning your aid
You must return your aid to MASS when it is no longer required, is unserviceable or unsafe, or has been replaced by a new aid.
MASS does not cover the accidental loss or destruction of medical aids and equipment. Therefore, you may wish to consider including the aid in your home contents insurance or have it insured separately. MASS does not reimburse costs involved with insurance.
Contact your clinician, aid supplier or nearest MASS service centre.