COVID-19 vaccination for workers
Repeal of COVID-19 vaccine mandate for Queensland Health and Queensland Ambulance Service employees
Following a two-week consultation, Queensland Health will repeal the COVID-19 vaccination requirement for Queensland Health and Queensland Ambulance Service employees. It will take effect as of Monday 25 September 2023, with implementation of the change to occur over the next two weeks.
Queensland Health consulted with its employees, including Queensland Ambulance Service employees and key stakeholders including industrial partners and patient safety advocacy groups—carefully considering all feedback received in making this decision.
The decision to remove the mandate is also supported by advice from various authorities in the field, including the Queensland’s Chief Health Officer and ATAGI. The changing nature of COVID-19, the safety of employees and patients, all legislative requirements, and a range of other factors formed part of the decision.
This website will be updated soon to reflect the vaccine mandate change.
From 6 p.m. Monday 31 October 2022, there are no Public Health Directions in effect requiring you to be vaccinated in high risk settings, including:
- early childhood, primary and secondary education
- prisons, youth detention centres and watch houses
- residential aged care facilities
- shared disability accommodation services
- primary care, private hospitals and private allied health services
Decisions on mandatory vaccinations will instead be made by the owner or operator of these settings.
Workers in healthcare
Health service employees must be up-to-date with their COVID-19 vaccinations.
Health service employees are any Queensland Health employees employed under the Hospital and Health Boards Act 2011 in Hospital and Health Services and the Department of Health.
For Queensland Health aged care facilities, this means anyone who is directly employed by Queensland Health, including but not limited to:
- health care providers
- assistant nurses
- enrolled nurses
- registered nurses
- allied health practitioners
- administration and support staff.
It does not include paramedics, contractors or service providers not employed by Queensland Health.
Queensland Health-operated residential aged care facilities
Queensland Health residential aged care facilities include aged care facilities and multi-purpose health services that provide aged care.
Cairns and Hinterland
- Babinda Multi-purpose Health Service
- Mossman Multi-purpose Health Service
- Baralaba Hospital Multi-purpose Health Service
- Blackwater Hospital Multi-purpose Health Service
- Mount Morgan Multi-purpose Health Service
- Moura Multi-purpose Health Service
- Eventide Home Rockhampton
- North Rockhampton Nursing Centre
- Springsure Hospital Multi-purpose Health Service
- Theodore Multi-purpose Health Service
- Woorabinda Multi-purpose Health Service
- Alpha and Jericho Multi-purpose Health Service
- Barcaldine Multi-purpose Health Service
- Winton Multi-purpose Health Service
- Dr E A F McDonald Nursing Home
- Forest View Residential Care Facility
- Inglewood Multi-purpose Health Service
- Karingal Nursing Home
- Milton House
- Mt Lofty Nursing Home
- Texas Multi-purpose Health Service
- The Oaks Residential Aged Care Facility
- Clermont Multi-purpose Health Service
- Collinsville Hospital
- Brighton Health Campus (Gannet House)
- Cooinda House
- Redland Residential Care Facility
- Cloncurry Hospital
- McKinlay Shire Multi-purpose Health Service
- Augathella Multi-purpose Health Service
- Cunnamulla Multi-purpose Health Service
- Dirranbandi Multi-purpose Health Service
- Injune Multi-purpose Service
- Mitchell Multi-purpose Health Service
- Mungindi Multi-purpose Health Service
- Quilpie Multi-purpose Health Service
- Surat Multi-purpose Service
- Waroona Multipurpose Centre
- Westhaven Nursing Home
Torres and Cape
- Cooktown Multi-purpose Health Service
- Weipa Hospital Multi-purpose Health Service
- Eventide Charters Towers
- Parklands Residential Aged Care Facility
- Hughenden Multi-purpose Health Service
- Richmond Multi-purpose Health Service
- Biggenden Hospital Multi-purpose Health Service
- Childers Multi-purpose Health Service