Proposed Walton Coal Project
Walton Coal Pty Ltd (the proponent) proposes to develop a greenfield open cut coal mine and associated project infrastructure, which would involve the extraction of between 1.9–2.2 million tonnes per year of metallurgical coal for processing and sale to the export market over a mine life of approximately 8 years. The proposed project is predominantly located on Mineral Development Licence (MDL) 505 and will involve application for one or more Mining Leases. The proposed project would be located approximately 170 kilometres (km) west of Rockhampton and approximately 100km east of Emerald in Central Queensland.
The proposed project would consist of:
- out of pit spoil dumps
- progressive rehabilitation of the out of pit spoil dumps and backfilled sections of pit haul road and ancillary access tracks
- conventional Coal Handling and Preparation Plant (CHPP) and conveyor systems
- ROM coal and product coal stockpiles
- dedicated rail spur and loop for the Train Load Out to enable coal transport to Gladstone for export via the RG Tanna Coal Terminal or alternatively Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal
- water supply pipeline from Jellinbah Coal Mine (pipeline source point approximately 23km northwest of the MDL505 boundary)
- water management infrastructure including dams, drains, levees and stream diversions
- support infrastructure, including offices, workshops and warehousing
- site access road (partially off the MLs) and intersection with Capricorn Highway
- accommodation camp (off the MLs) for drive in and drive out component of the workforce
- prescribed environmentally relevant activities (ERAs), including chemical storage, regulated waste storage and sewage treatment as well as several notifiable activities, including abrasive blasting, mine waste storage, mineral processing and petroleum product or oil storage
- employing up to 100 construction employees and approximately 223 operational employees. The environmental impact statement (EIS) would be used to scope the accommodation requirements.
Environmental Protection Act 1994 (Queensland)
On 13 July 2017 the department approved an application for Walton Coal Pty Ltd to voluntarily prepare an EIS for the proposed project under the Environmental Protection Act 1994 (EP Act).
Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Commonwealth)
On 24 November 2017, the Department of the Environment and Energy determined the proposed project to be a controlled action (EPBC 2017/8077) under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. The controlling provisions are sections 18 and 18A (listed threatened species and communities) and 24D and 24E (a water resource, in relation to coal seam gas development and large coal mining development). The project will be assessed under the Bilateral Agreement between the Commonwealth and the State of Queensland using the EIS prepared under the EP Act.
Public notification of final terms of reference (TOR)
The process for the assessment of this project is as follows:
- Submission of draft TOR
- Public notification of draft TOR
- Final TOR issued—EIS in preparation
- Public notification of EIS
- Proponent responds to submissions
- EIS assessment report
The final TOR for the EIS was issued to the proponent on 10 May 2018. The proponent may submit an EIS to the department within two years or any longer period decided by the department. At that time, the EIS will be made available for public review and the department’s chief executive will invite written submissions on the EIS from the public.
Publicly available documents can be obtained by accessing the links below.
For further information about the EIS process for this proposal, contact the EIS Coordinator-Walton Coal Project on 13QGOV (13 74 68) or email email@example.com.
When the EIS is released, public submissions will be invited. For further information about the EIS process for this proposal, contact the EIS Coordinator on 13QGOV (13 74 68) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.