Ensham Life of Mine Extension Project
- Extension of the existing Ensham Mine
- Single seam, underground bord and pillar mining operations to extract thermal coal at the current planned production rate of 4.5 million tonnes per annum within existing mining leases and extension into a new mining lease area
- Use of existing underground and surface infrastructure including road, rail and mine infrastructure equipment
- No additional surface infrastructure or surface disturbance within the new mining lease area
Ensham Join Venture including:
- Idemitsu Australia Resources Pty Ltd
- Bligh Coal Limited
- Bowen Investment (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Approximately 35 kilometres (km) east of Emerald and 49km north-west of Blackwater in Central Queensland
- Central Highlands Regional Council
- Extension of existing mine to approximately 2037
- Maintaining current operational workforce of approximately 603
- No construction workforce
Commonwealth approval needed
- Yes (controlled action EPBC 2020/8669), single EIS assessment process for Queensland and the Commonwealth.
Environmental impact statement (EIS)
- Submission of draft TOR
- Public notification of draft TOR
- Final TOR issued (EIS in preparation)
- Public notification of EIS
- Proponent responds to submissions
- Project assessment report
The proponent has submitted a draft Terms of Reference (TOR) for the EIS.
Public review and comment
The draft TOR will be available for public review and comment from 3 August 2020 to 15 September 2020.
Written comments from any person in relation to the draft TOR and can be made on the comments template .
Written comments should be sent to:
The Chief Executive
Department of Environment and Science
Attention: The EIS Coordinator (Ensham Life of Mine Extension Project)
GPO Box 2454
BRISBANE QLD 4001
or by email to email@example.com
The Department of Environment and Science (DES) is collecting the information provided in comments on the draft TOR for consideration in the EIS process. All comments (including names and addresses) will be provided to the proponent as required under section 44 of the Environmental Protection Act 1994, so that they may consider them and provide a response to DES. This consultation is a public process, and any comments you provide may be published (including online) and may be transmitted outside of Australia. You may wish to bear this in mind when providing your comments. Your information will not be disclosed by DES to any other parties unless authorised or required by law.
Notice and documents
Publicly available documents can be obtained by accessing the links below or by contacting Idemitsu on 07 3222 5600, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about the EIS process for this proposal, contact the EIS Coordinator (Ensham Life of Mine Extension Project) on 13QGOV (13 74 68) or email email@example.com