- have good outdoor lighting to deter potential burglars
- have doors and windows with solid locks that are locked each night
- have a home alarm security system
- leave an internal light on when you go out at night
- know which neighbours you can go to in an emergency.
In your car
- Park in well-lit places close to the main road or building
- Always lock your car
- Always check the back seat of your vehicle before entering
- Pay attention to your surroundings, avoid being distracted by your mobile phone, keys and packages as you enter your car
- When you enter your vehicle, lock the doors, and leave the parking lot immediately
- If you work late, have security walk you to your car
- Keep your car well maintained so it is reliable.
On public transport
- Always wait in Translink's core safety zones
- Use Qconnect's secure taxi ranks located in the entertainment districts of most Queensland cities
- Have a plan to get home when you get off public transport
- Tell a responsible person of your expected arrival time and route.
- Prevention is the best way to reduce crime, but self-defence training can be useful in a dangerous situation
- Knowing self-defence strategies will give you extra confidence and can help you escape an attack
- Martial arts centres or self-defence training facilities offer courses for everyone
Read more about dealing with confrontation and self defence.