Social and emotional support

Schools play an important role in helping to nurture students’ social, emotional and physical wellbeing and supporting students and families in need.

Learn more about some of the support services that support the mental health and wellbeing of students in state schools.

Contact your school if you would like to find out more about the supports available in your school community.

Guidance officers

Guidance officers provide a range of support services to staff, students and families at Queensland state schools.

Support offered by guidance officers includes advice and counselling on educational, behavioural, vocational, careers, personal, social, family, and mental health and wellbeing issues.

You can contact your school to arrange a meeting with the guidance officer. School contact details are available by phoning 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or searching the schools directory.

Chaplaincy and student welfare services

Some Queensland schools have a chaplaincy or student welfare service—this is different to a religious instruction program. Chaplains and student welfare workers provide support for students and can be an additional adult role model in the school.

All religious, spiritual and non-religious beliefs are respected and involvement is voluntary.

Find a list of schools that provide chaplaincy and student welfare services.

The Chaplaincy Services in Queensland State Schools procedure explains more about the responsibilities of the schools, chaplains and student welfare workers when providing this service.

Youth support coordinators

Youth Support Coordinators support students in Years 10 to 12 who are at risk of or have disengaged from learning.

Youth Support Coordinators working in state schools may:

  • provide individual support and case management
  • develop and implement programs to support social and emotional wellbeing and
  • refer students and their families to appropriate agencies and support services within the local community.

Read more about youth support coordinators and the list of state schools that provide the service.

Related links

  • Lifeline – phone 13 11 14
  • Kids Help Line – phone 1800 551 800
  • Parentline – phone 1300 301 300 for support, counselling and parent education
  • Behaviour
  • Bullying and harassment
  • Support services for student health and wellbeing.