Skip links and keyboard navigation

Learning English

Learning English will help you get the most out of your time in Australia. Whether you want to study, live or travel here, you will need English language skills to:

  • interact with others in everyday life
  • learn and participate in education
  • improve your job and career opportunities.

Queensland offers a variety of English language courses to meet different needs and proficiency levels:

  • General English courses teach the basic written and verbal communication skills needed to interact in daily life in Australia.

    The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is a free course for eligible migrants to enable them to participate socially and economically in Australian society.

    If your child is studying in a Queensland Government school and English is not their first language they may be eligible for English as an additional language or dialect (EAL/D) language support.

  • Academic English for international students: English language schools, universities and providers of English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) offer intensive courses that prepare students for the academic challenges of high school and tertiary level study.  Search for an English language school in Queensland.

    Selected Queensland Government schools offer High School Preparation (HSP), an intensive English program that prepares international students to join mainstream high school classes.

  • Examination preparation courses prepare students to sit internationally recognised English proficiency examinations.

Each education provider has different entry requirements and fees for their courses so talk to your preferred provider to find out what may apply to you.

Search for an English language school in Queensland.

Find a course

Find a language school that offers the type of English language course you need.

Quality assurance

Finding a quality English language school is easy.

The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students or CRICOS, is the official Australian Government register of all education providers that offer courses to international students.

Search the CRICOS register or ask your education provider for a CRICOS course code for your preferred course. 

Translation help

Translator and interpreter help is available through:

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
21 April 2017
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.