Family and Child Connect

Family and Child Connect is a local, community-based service that helps families to care for and protect their children at home, by connecting them to the right services at the right time.

The service will:

  • consider information they receive with a focus on the safety and protection of children
  • make contact with the family to discuss the situation, recognising that sometimes parents just need a little help to care for their children safely at home
  • make a decision about the type and level of support that may be required for the family
  • connect families to services that may assist them in their situation.

What support is provided?

Parents can seek support through the service to:

  • develop parenting skills and managing child behaviour
  • build better relationships between family members, including help with any violence at home
  • improve budgeting and managing money
  • manage alcohol, drug or gambling problems
  • access housing, healthcare or other community or government services.

The service can also link families to more intensive support services that help families stay together.

What if my family needs help?

There are many people in the community who are there to help families and children, for example, doctors, nurses and teachers.

If they are concerned about a family’s situation, they can contact Family and Child Connect for advice and let them know that the family might need some help.

Other members of the community can also contact Family and Child Connect for information, advice and support, including parents, other family members and young people.

Contact your local service

By phone

If you would like to make contact or refer a family or child to your local Family and Child Connect service you can call 13 FAMILY (13 32 64) and be referred to the closest office.


Family and Child Connect can also visit a family at home or a place that is mutually convenient and safe to talk.

Visit a local office

Find details of your local Family and Child Connect service.

Make an online referral

You can also refer a family or child to Family and Child Connect or an intensive family support service using the online form.

Helpful information