Pearls of Wisdom
Having conversations about the tough stuff can be difficult for us all.
Talking about advance care planning is a normal and important conversation we should have, no matter our age.
To help get the conversation started, older Queenslanders have shared some ‘pearls of wisdom’— treasured advice about planning ahead, chatting about the tough stuff, and enjoying life at different stages.
Having a plan in place ensures your loved ones know your care preferences in case of an accident or illness. It can help them make decisions on your behalf if you are unable to do so.
Start by having a conversation with loved ones about what is most important to you. This may include:
- reflecting on your values, beliefs, and wishes for the future
- asking your loved ones about their wishes for the future
- chatting with a friend or family member with advance care plans in place about their experience
- talking to your doctor about an Advance Health Directive
- choosing and appointing an Enduring Power of Attorney.
That way, in the event your family need to make these decisions for you, there is no doubt about the care you would want.
Find out more about: