Do your part. Be SharkSmart
With some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, the Queensland coastline is a great place to swim, surf, fish, and go boating.
But remember, sharks live in Queensland waters, so there are things you can do to reduce your risk.
If you’re swimming, surfing, diving, sailing, boating or fishing, follow these tips to do your part and be SharkSmart:
- Swim between the flags at patrolled beaches and check signage
- Have a buddy and look out for each other
- Avoid swimming at dawn or dusk
- Reduce risk, avoid schools of bait fish or diving birds
- Keep fish waste and food scraps out of the water where people swim
- Swim in clear water and away from fishers.