Seniors' Legal and Support Service (SLASS)
If you feel you are a victim of elder abuse or that you have been mistreated or taken advantage of financially, help is available. The Seniors Legal and Support Service (SLASS) provides free legal advice, information and social work services for people over 60.
The service can assist you with:
- legal information and advice
- social work services
- short-term counselling
- advocacy on your behalf
- a referral to other legal, consumer and support services
- representation in court or before tribunals (in certain circumstances).
Some examples of how they can help you:
- obtaining domestic violence protection orders
- developing safety plans
- support you to relocate to a place of safety
- advice on appointing or revoking a power of attorney
- information on protective strategies to manage your assets and prevent or stop financial abuse
- advocacy and negotiation on your behalf if you are a resident of a retirement village experiencing unfair contract terms and conditions
- advising on recovery of property or money following elder abuse or financial exploitation.
You can get help by phone, appointment at a service centre or they can visit you in your home or another safe location.
For more information contact your nearest SLASS service centre:
- Brisbane—(07) 3214 6333
- Cairns—1800 062 608 or (07) 4031 7688
- Hervey Bay—(07) 4124 6863
- Toowoomba—(07) 4616 9700
- Townsville—(07) 4721 5511
Other legal advice options are also available.