Seniors Legal and Support Service (SLASS)
If you are a victim of elder abuse or feel that you have been mistreated or taken advantage of financially, help is available. The Seniors Legal and Support Service (SLASS) provides free legal advice, information and social work services for people over 60.
The service can assist you with:
- legal information and advice
- social work services
- short-term counselling
- advocacy on your behalf
- a referral to other legal, consumer and support services
- representation in court or before tribunals (in certain circumstances).
Some examples of how they can help you:
- obtaining domestic violence protection orders
- developing safety plans
- support you to relocate to a place of safety
- advice on appointing or revoking a power of attorney
- information on protective strategies to manage your assets and prevent or stop financial abuse
- advocacy and negotiation on your behalf if you are a resident of a retirement village experiencing unfair contract terms and conditions
- advising on recovery of property or money following elder abuse or financial exploitation.
You can get help by phone, appointment at a service centre or, where possible, they can visit you in your home or another safe location.
For more information contact your nearest SLASS centre:
Brisbane Seniors Legal and Support Service
Caxton Legal Centre Inc.
1 Manning Street
SOUTH BRISBANE QLD 4101
Phone: (07) 3214 6333
Cairns Community Legal Centre—Seniors Legal Service
Level 1, 85 Lake Street
CAIRNS QLD 4870
Phone: 1800 062 608
Hervey Bay Neighbourhood Centre—Seniors Legal Service
16 Torquay Road
PIALBA QLD 4655
Phone: (07) 4124 6863
Toowoomba Seniors Legal Support Service
The Advocacy and Support Centre Inc.
223 Hume Street
SOUTH TOOWOOMBA QLD 4350
Phone: (07) 4616 9700
Townsville Community Legal Service—Seniors Legal Service
Unit 2 181 Sturt Street
TOWNSVILLE QLD 4810
Phone: (07) 4721 5511