Skip links and keyboard navigation

Getting married

To get married in Queensland, you need to:

  • be 18 years or older (at least 1 partner)
  • organise a celebrant to carry out your wedding
  • complete notice of intended marriage form
  • have your celebrant lodge the form
  • give your identity and eligibility documents to your celebrant.

What the law says

  • One partner can be 16 or 17 years old but must have parent/guardian permission and Magistrates Court order.
  • An authorised celebrant must carry out your wedding.
  • You both must sign the notice of intended marriage in the presence of a qualified witness.
  • All your documents must be in English—or you must supply accredited translations if they are not.
  • There must be 2 witnesses over the age of 18 at your wedding.
  • An interpreter must be at the wedding if one or either partner can not understand or speak English.

Identity and eligibility documents

Your celebrant must see:

  • evidence of the date and place of birth of both of you, or a current overseas passport if you were born outside Australia


  • evidence of any previous divorce or death of any spouse, if applicable (e.g. divorce papers, death certificate).

Qualified witnesses

A qualified witness in Australia is:

  • an authorized celebrant
  • a commissioner for declarations
  • a justice of the peace
  • a barrister or solicitor
  • a legally qualified medical practitioner
  • a member of the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a state or territory.

A qualified witness outside of Australia is an:

  • Australian diplomatic officer
  • Australian consular officer
  • employee of the Australian government
  • employee of the Australian Trade Commission.

No record of marriage in Queensland

If you plan to get married overseas, check before you go to see if you need a ‘No record of marriage in Queensland’ letter.

How to apply

  1. Complete the no record of marriage in Queensland application form.
  2. Include proof of identity documents.
  3. Pay the application fee.
  4. Pay the urgent fee (if required).
  5. Pay the return postage fee (if required).

Get it right

Your application will take longer if your documents and payments are not correct.

Remember to:

  • calculate the return postage (if required)
  • total all fees in 1 payment
  • check your credit card details and expiry date
  • certify identity documents
  • allow extra time for Australia Post.

By post

Post your application to:

Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

Applications can take up to 5 business days—or 2 business days for urgent applications.

Over the counter

Visit the Brisbane Registry at 110 George Street to apply. Certificates will be ready after 2.30pm the next business day. Urgent certificates are ready in 3 hours (or the next business day if you apply after 1.30pm) for an extra fee.

If you don’t live in Brisbane, you can apply for a ‘No record of marriage in Queensland’ certificate at your local Magistrates Court or Queensland Government Agent Program (QGAP) office.


Item Cost
Previous marriage search (per 5 year period) $21
Urgent application $25

Payment methods

Pay by cash, cheque, credit card (Visa and MasterCard) or money order. Make cheques or money orders payable to the ‘Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages’.

Postage fees

Postage is included when you order a certificate to be sent by mail.

You can request to have your certificate posted by express or registered post for a fee.

Item Cost
Express post $5.75
Registered mail $4.30
Air mail $2.60
International registered post $14.40
International express post $15.35
International Air Mail for commemorative certificates $8.95

Proof of ID (identification)

The ID you provide must be current and include a photo and signature. It must show your current address.

You must provide at least 1 form of ID from each category below, or, provide 2 forms of ID from community and 1 from home address evidence category below which includes a signature.

Types of ID (categories)

Personal ID

  • Driver licence
  • Australian passport
  • Overseas passport
  • Firearms licence
  • Defence force or police identification card
  • Proof of Age card

Community ID

  • Medicare card
  • Debit or credit card
  • Entitlement card from the federal or state government
  • Student card or statement of enrolment
  • School or other educational report from the last 12 months
  • Identity document from a passport office
  • Naturalisation, citizenship or immigration papers
  • Full birth certificate
  • Security guard licence

Home address evidence

  • Gas, electricity, home phone, car registration or rates account
  • Bank statement
  • Rent/lease agreement
  • Driver licence renewal notice
  • Official government letter not from this agency

Certified and translated identity documents

Get your ID documents certified by:

  • a justice of the peace
  • a commissioner for declarations
  • a barrister or solicitor
  • a notary public
  • a client service officer at a Magistrates Court or QGAP office.

Translating and interpreting service

Documents in other languages must be translated into English. Contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) to seek assistance.

Last updated
28 October 2014

Page feedback

Your privacy

Information collected through this form is used to improve this website.

Any information you submit that could identify you (e.g. name, email address) will be stored securely, and destroyed after we process your feedback.

  1. This page was
  2. We want this information to be the best it can be and we know we can’t do it without you. Let us know what you thought of this page and what other information you would like to see.

    We do not reply to feedback. Contact us if you need a response.

  3. Contact (optional)