When it comes to making a choice about when to leave home, it’s good to remember that everyone is different. Some people choose to stay in their family home until they are well into their 30s or older, and others decide to leave as soon as they are able. In Australia, most people stay with their parents until they are at least 18 years old and your parents will remain your legal guardians until then. For more information about when you can legally leave home visit the Youth Law Australia website.
How do I make such a big decision?
Before you decide to move out of home, think about:
- what are some of the advantages and disadvantages in terms of your emotional, physical, mental and financial wellbeing?
- what impact will this have on your life now and in the future?
- do you have a realistic idea of what to expect?
- do you have a safe place to go?
- are you ready to look after yourself?
Chatting with a Kids Helpline counsellor is one way to get help in considering these questions and making a decision that is right for you. You can talk to a counsellor by email, online chat or phone on 1800 55 1800.