Update, replace or cancel a card

I want to…

Changed your name?

If you have changed your name, you need to provide us with supporting documentation, such as a photocopy of a marriage certificate, driver licence or divorce decree. To get a new card, simply send a photocopy of one of these documents, along with your old card, to:

Card Services 
Smart Service Queensland
Reply Paid 10817
Brisbane Adelaide Street  QLD  4000

You can also call 13 QGOV (13 74 68) during business hours and make changes to your card over the phone.