Skip links and keyboard navigation

Claim for financial loss

  • When to apply

    Have you lost money due to the conduct of a property agent, motor dealer, debt collector or auctioneer? Find out if you can apply to the claim fund.

  • How to lodge

    Find out about the process you need to follow to make a claim, the time limit that applies and how to seek extensions on that limit.

  • Deciding your claim

  • Appeals and payment

    You and the trader each have 28 days to appeal a decision. We won’t pay you until after the appeal period. Find out how these processes work.

Who can claim?

The claim fund may help you recover from a financial loss in some situations. It protects consumers who lose money due to certain types of action (or failures to act) by:

  • real estate agents
  • resident letting agents
  • motor dealers
  • auctioneers
  • chattel auctioneers
  • debt collectors or process servers
  • employees of any of the above.

Always try to settle the claim with them first. Go through their complaint process. If this doesn’t resolve the dispute, then you can lodge a written claim with us.

Don’t leave it too long to claim, as time limits do apply.

Find more details

Last updated
8 September 2016
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.