Charging commission for selling and letting in the property industry
We do not set a limit on how much commission you may charge as a property agent. You are free to negotiate any commission with your client.
However, a commission must:
- include GST (and clearly state this in the appointment to act)
- be set in writing at the time of appointment.
You will need to set out:
- the fees, charges and any commission for each service
- any other expenses, such as advertising and marketing
- the due dates for payments
- that commission may still apply if the sale is not executed (and in what circumstances).