Environmental offset framework
The Queensland environmental offsets framework includes:
- Environmental Offsets Act 2014, which coordinates the delivery of environmental offsets across jurisdictions and provides a single point-of-truth for offsets in Queensland.
- Environmental Offsets Regulation 2014, which provides details of the prescribed activities regulated under existing legislation and prescribed environmental matters to which the Act applies.
- The Queensland Environmental Offsets Policy Version 1.8 (PDF, 1.13MB) which provides a single, consistent, whole-of-government policy for the assessment of offset proposals to satisfy offset conditions.
The Queensland Environmental Offsets Policy Version 1.8 came into effect on 7 February 2020 to reflect consequential amendments to the Environmental Offsets Regulation 2014 as a result of the Nature Conservation and Other Legislation (Koala Protection) Amendment Regulation 2020. This replaces the Queensland Environmental Offsets Policy Version 1.7.
Previous versions of the policy are available below:
- Queensland Environmental Offsets Policy Version 1.7 (PDF, 1.54MB) (9 August 2019 to 6 February 2020)
- Queensland Environmental Offsets Policy Version 1.6 (PDF, 1.23MB) (29 June 2018 to 8 August 2019)
- Queensland Environmental Offsets Policy Version 1.5 (PDF, 1.0MB) (9 May 2018 to 28 June 2018)
- Queensland Environmental Offsets Policy Version 1.4 (PDF, 984KB) (3 July 2017 to 8 May 2018)
- Queensland Environmental Offsets Policy Version 1.3 (PDF, 976KB) (12 May 2017 to 2 July 2017)
- Queensland Environmental Offsets Policy Version 1.2 (PDF, 1.24MB) (1 July 2016 to 12 May 2017)
- Queensland Environmental Offsets Policy Version 1.1 (PDF, 1MB) (19 December 2014 to 30 June 2016)
- Queensland Environmental Offsets Policy Version 1.0 (PDF, 795KB) (1 July 2014 to 18 December 2014).
A range of measures are in place to protect koala populations in South East Queensland. One of the major safeguards is requiring community infrastructure projects to offset any loss of koala habitat—required under the State Government Supported Infrastructure Koala Conservation Policy (SI Policy) (PDF, 220KB). The CI Policy is applied to the planning and delivery of all Queensland Government supported infrastructure activities within the South East Queensland Koala Protection Area (SEQKPA) that is not otherwise regulated or exempt development.
Prior to the introduction of this offset framework, which came into effect on 1 July 2014, the previous offset framework consisted of five offset policies. Copies of the five superseded offset policies can be obtained by visiting the online library catalogue and searching for the following titles:
- Queensland Government Environmental Offset Policy
- Policy for Vegetation Management Offsets
- Queensland Biodiversity Offset Policy
- Marine Fish Habitat Offset Policy
- Offsets for Net Gain of Koala Habitat in Southeast Queensland Policy.