Small updates are proposed to the minimum practice agricultural standards for beef cattle grazing and sugarcane and banana cultivation, and the prescribed methodology for sugarcane cultivation.

These updates are administrative in nature and will make the requirements easier to understand.

The proposed updates to the minimum standards for grazing, sugarcane and bananas will:

  • remove an incorrect reference to the Environmental Protection Regulation 2019 (EP Reg)
  • include the ‘date a record is made’ as a record keeping requirement
  • remove duplication of record keeping requirements already regulated under the Chemical Usage (Agricultural and Veterinary) Control Act 1988
  • for sugarcane cultivation, amend the definition of an appropriate person to recognise Smartcane BMP accredited growers.

The proposed clarifications to the prescribed methodology will:

  • remove obligations that are no longer relevant due to the commencement of nutrient and phosphorus budget requirements and insert clarifying terms which should make it easier for growers to understand and implement
  • add version control numbering.

Consultation on these small updates will run until Thursday 20 January 2022 to ensure everyone can have a say.

Information sessions

One-hour online information sessions will be held in December and January to provide more information about the proposed updates.

If you would like to attend one of these sessions, please use the registration link in the table below.

Date and time Registration link
Monday 6 December 2021, 1pm Eventbrite registration link
Tuesday 11 January 2022, 9am Eventbrite registration link

How to have a say?

Your comments are sought on the:

The changes are marked in each of the documents.

Consultation closes on Thursday 20 January 2022.

You can provide comment via email or post:


Reef protection regulations


Reef protection regulations
Office of the Great Barrier Reef
Department of Environment and Science
GPO Box 2454
Brisbane QLD 4001

For more information, email or call 13 QGOV (13 74 68) and ask for the Office of the Great Barrier Reef.