Skip links and keyboard navigation

Rates subsidy

Eligible pensioners can receive a subsidy of 20 per cent (up to a maximum amount of $200 each year) of the gross rates and charges levied by your local council.


To receive the subsidy, you must hold 1 of the following concession cards:

You must also be:

  • the owner or life tenant* of the property, which is your principal place of residence and located in Queensland.
  • legally responsible for the payment of local council rates and charges levied on that property.

*A life tenancy can only be created by a valid will and is effective only after the death of the property owner, or by a Supreme or Family Court order.

In addition to the state subsidy, a local council may also offer other remissions on rates and charges. Contact your local council for more information.

How to apply

Each council has its own application process.

Contact your local council to apply.

The subsidy is only allowable on one property at a time.

Change of address

A new application must be lodged if you change your address.

Contact your local council to apply.

Home support and housing options

Find information about aged care, housing options, in-home care and carer support.


Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
3 February 2015
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.