Diet and exercise
Exercise and physical activity
As a good guide, adults should aim to be active for 30 minutes every day. Kids over 5 years of age should aim for at least 60 minutes of activities every day.
Every little bit helps, including playing sport, mowing the lawn or gardening, riding or skating, sport at school, and walking to school, the park, work or the shops.
Becoming more physically active can help you to:
- sleep better
- improve your mental health
- control your weight
- feel more energetic
- reduce your risk of diseases like cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
To find exercise and physical activities to join in with in your area contact your local council.
There are walking groups all across Queensland. Find a walking group near you.
Eat good tucker
Healthy eating will help you to live longer and improve the way you feel about yourself.
Eating healthy tucker can help you to:
- improve your weight
- feel more energetic and alive
- not get sick from chronic diseases like cancer, heart disease and kidney disease.
To improve your diet you should:
- eat more traditional bush tucker, fruit and vegetables
- reduce the amount of sugary foods like lollies, chocolates, ice creams, pastries and biscuits
- reduce the amount of salty and fatty foods like pizza and hot chips
- limit the amount of alcohol you drink
- drink lots of water instead of fizzy drinks.
Cape York region
The Apunipima Cape York Health Council runs healthy cooking classes to improve your eating habits.
Healthy eating and exercise tips
Find programs and ideas on how to become more active and eat healthier for: