Skip links and keyboard navigation

Registering a marriage

If you are getting married in Queensland, your registered marriage celebrant, is responsible for registering your marriage on your behalf. By law, your registered marriage celebrant has 14 days to submit your marriage to be registered.

If you get married in another state or country, your marriage needs to be registered with the interstate or overseas registry.

The wedding certificate given to you by your registered marriage celebrant on the day of your marriage ceremony, is not an official marriage certificate and can not be used to prove your marriage to government agencies or banks.

You do not automatically receive a marriage certificate after getting married. You need to complete the marriage certificate application form and pay a fee.

Learn how to apply for a marriage certificate.

Processing your marriage registration and marriage certificate application forms can take up to 10 business days. If you apply for a marriage certificate before your registered marriage celebrant registers your marriage, we will post the marriage certificate when it is ready.

How to apply

To apply to register your marriage, you need to:

  1. Read the guidelines on the notice of intended marriage application form.
  2. Completed notice of intended marriage application form with your registered marriage celebrant, at least 1 month before getting married.
  3. Provide your registered marriage celebrant with your proof of ID, birth certificates or passports and if married before your divorce or previous spouse death certificates.
  4. If your supporting documents are not in English you will need to get them translated–contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) to get assistance.
  5. After your marriage ceremony–your registered marriage celebrant must submit your completed notice of intended marriage and official certificate of marriage registration application forms on your behalf.
  6. Apply and pay for a marriage certificate.

Overseas marriages

If you get married overseas it may be seen as a legal marriage here in Australia–as long as you have a marriage certificate from the registering authority from the country you were married in.

Your marriage does not get registered in Australia as it happened overseas and is already registered.

If you wish to change your name after an overseas marriage–before applying to change your name, talk to the organisations you need to update your details with, about the documents they will accept.

By post

Your registered marriage celebrant will post your marriage registration application forms to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

In person

Your registered marriage celebrant may visit the Brisbane registry at 110 George Street, Brisbane to submit your marriage registration application forms.

For more information


Email, online enquiries are replied to within 2 business days.

By phone

Call 1300 366 430 (Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm).

Get the PDF application form

Download, fill in and print the notice of intended marriage application form.

Get it right

Remember to:

Marriage certificates

When you apply for a commemorative marriage certificate ( $55 ), you will also receive a standard marriage certificate in the package.

There are 4 different styles of commemorative certificate available.

Learn how to order your commemorative or standard marriage certificate.

Last updated
19 February 2015

Page feedback

Your privacy

Information collected through this form is used to improve this website.

Any information you submit that could identify you (e.g. name, email address) will be stored securely, and destroyed after we process your feedback.

  1. This page was
  2. We want this information to be the best it can be and we know we can’t do it without you. Let us know what you thought of this page and what other information you would like to see.

    We do not reply to feedback. Contact us if you need a response.

  3. Contact (optional)