Check if you are eligible for the Young Athletes Travel Subsidy
The Young Athletes Travel Subsidy (travel subsidy) aims to foster the development of young athletes and support elite athlete pathways by providing financial assistance to help alleviate the costs associated with attending championship events. The travel subsidy provides financial assistance through three event tiers and supports attendance at specific state, national and international events.
Officials (such as coaches, referees and scorers) officiating at eligible events can also apply for assistance if they meet the eligibility criteria.
Who is eligible?
Applicants eligible to apply for support after attending the event are those who:
- competed or officiated (as a coach, referee or scorer) at an eligible Queensland state or state school event, Australian national or national school event or international event in the past 6 months
- have been residents of Queensland for at least 12 months preceding the event
- were under the age of 18 at the start of the event
- travelled a road distance of at least 250km (one-way) from their place of residence to the event location (check road distances using RACQ’s trip planner)
- flew or travelled by rail a radial distance of at least 250km (one-way) from their place of residence to the event location (check radial distances)
- have participation at the event confirmed by the regional/state/national coach or manager.
Applications must be correctly submitted within six months of attending the event to be eligible. Check the eligible event list for event details. You will receive an email with a PDF of the application if you have submitted the application successfully.
The travel subsidy will allow up to a maximum of $1,200 in financial assistance over the three event tiers, once every two calendar years. Eligible athletes and officials can apply for one event per tier once every two calendar years.
For example, if an applicant attends a state and international event in 2016, they do not need to wait two years to apply for a national event. Or, if the applicant applies for all three event tiers in 2016 they must wait until 2018 before being eligible again.
The following travel subsidy amounts are available under the three event tiers:
- state or state school event—$200
- national or national school event—$400
- international event—$600.
Lodging an application does not guarantee funding. The following requirements must be met:
- applications will not be considered before the start of a championship—applicants are required to use their own resources to travel to the event as funding is provided retrospectively
- applications must be received by us no later than 6 months from the last date of the eligible event.
Am I Eligible?
Please answer the questions below to check eligibility for the subsidy before applying. Answer all questions honestly and follow any instructions provided. The application is to be filled out by the parent or guardian of the athlete/official.
Once your application has been assessed, you will be notified of the outcome via email.