Townsville Sports Reserve
On this page:
The Townsville Sports Reserve has hosted a range of high profile events including the Oceania Games, Relay for Life, National All Schools Rugby League, Football and Athletics Championships. The venue has an overall capacity of approximately 3,000 people. For larger events, we have an entry kiosk with ticket office facilities and our grandstand includes air-conditioned broadcast, media and two corporate box suites.
The main grandstand looks over our International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Class 2 standard track. We also have a large number of seating across our two fields including two large viewing decks.
We offer a range of facilities for people with disabilities and have held a number of events such as the Challenge Games and have hosted the Australian Paralympic squad trainings. Please see below for our full range of amenities for persons with a disability.
Our track is an international standard, eight-lane synthetic IAAF Class 2 approved athletics track. The track is 400 metres in length and includes two opposite 100 metre starting lanes and a separate three-lane 60 metre warm up track. The Townsville Sports Reserve has a fully covered grandstand, which seats over 900 people. We have photo finish capabilities, so please let us know in advance and we can arrange this for your event. We also have:
- four long and triple jump pits
- three hammer/discus cages and circles
- steeple chase water jump
- pole vault run ups (multiple directions).
Townsville Sports Reserve has two National Standard playing fields. Our field surfaces are professionally maintained and have hosted both state and national level competition. Our fields can be used for:
- rugby union
- rugby league
- football (soccer)
- touch football
- athletics events, including discuss, shot put, javelin, high jump, pole vault and hammer throw.
Fixed football goals with nets, rugby league/ rugby union posts with padding and two portable football goals (for training purposes) are available with field hire upon request.
- Lighting of up to 500 lux.
- Five change rooms (including referees room) under the grandstand with PWD access.
- Two air-conditioned corporate boxes with media and broadcast boxes at the top of the grandstand overlooking the field.
- 24 on-site car parks with four mini bus parking bays.
- A fully equipped Athletics event office for use by arrangement.
- Six shaded seating bays.
- Lighting up to 200 lux with remote control switching.
- Four change rooms with four people with disabilities (PWD) ensuites.
- Ten shaded seating bays.
- Four ‘shield’ standard synthetic cricket nets with general power outlets (GPO)
We can accommodate 1700 spectators across Field Two, making it the perfect place to hold your club’s next competition.
Over the years, Townsville Sports Reserve has hosted a variety of competition and training events. The Reserve has a number of facilities to make your event run smoothly, including:
- two canteens and bars with cooking facilities and cold rooms
- five amenities blocks with PWD access and referees room
- designated First Aid room.
We can accommodate large or small events and we can tailor something to suit your individual requirements.
If you are travelling from interstate or overseas, please use our Townsville information to help plan your accommodation and activities.
Persons with a disability
The Townsville Sports Reserve is a PWD-friendly facility. We have a number of different access points to our track, fields and amenities, including:
- PWD wheelchair parking areas across both fields
- PWD access to both sides of the track
- three amenity blocks with PWD toilets
- five change rooms with PWD ensuites.
Access to the car park is via the Burke Street entrance. Alternatively, there is street parking on Burke Street near the main entrance.
Conference and meeting rooms
There are conference and meeting room facilities available for hire in our Townsville Sports House, which adjoins the Reserve. These rooms can be arranged for large or small conferences or training seminars.
Contact us for further information or to book your next meeting or corporate function.