Student accommodation

Check where to find student accommodation if you’re a Queensland student looking for a room or place to stay.

Residential services exemption

Student accommodation is exempt from the requirements of the Residential Services (Accreditation) Act 2002 (the Act).

Claiming the exemption

To claim the exemption, you must prove that you provide accommodation mainly to people enrolled in approved education or study courses.

Assessment for exemption

If the number of students (and non-students) being accommodated changes over the year, you must prove your service provides accommodation mainly to students.

You should keep records of residents and enrolments. This may demonstrate a pattern of occupancy and prove that mainly students use the service.

If you cannot clearly prove that your residents are mainly students, consideration is also given to:

  • the type of resident that you operate for and market to
  • any student facilities you provide
  • the original purpose for the accommodation building
  • the period that students are enrolled in approved courses
  • the number of non-student residents and how long they have lived there.

Safety Requirements

Owners of student accommodation are required to meet the fire safety requirements for budget accommodation buildings.

For more information on safety requirements for budget accommodation, contact:

Tenancy protection

Residents in student accommodation have tenancy protection under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (PDF, 1.6MB).

As a provider of student accommodation, you need to issue tenancy agreements, lodge bonds and comply with notice periods.

For more information on tenancy laws, contact the Residential Tenancies Authority on 1300 366 311.