The following definitions explain certain terms related to Queensland first home owner grants and used in application forms. This will help you determine your eligibility and understand your obligations when applying for a grant.

See also definitions used for:

Completed eligible transaction

Buying a new home—when you are entitled to possess the home under the contract and you have registered your ownership on the title of the land on which the home is built

Building a new home (including by owner–builders)—when the new home is ready for occupation and any requirements (e.g. final inspection certificate) have been fulfilled

When applying for the grant, you will need to provide supporting documentation, such as the title registration confirmation or final inspection certificate.


The purchase price or cost of construction of the new home.

Financial help

Financial help can include:

  • a gift of money or property (whether or not the gift is enough for you to buy or build the home)
  • a contribution towards the purchase, building or maintenance of the home
  • making a loan repayment for the home
  • forgiving a loan repayment
  • transferring land on which the home is to be built for an amount less than its market value
  • transferring an existing home for an amount less than its market value
  • building a home for a discounted price
  • agreeing to pay any rates, utilities or repair and maintenance costs for the home
  • agreeing to act as guarantor on the home mortgage
  • agreeing to pay market rent for living in an applicant's home
  • indirect payments to a third party (e.g. to pay a debt owed by an applicant to the third party)
  • indirect payments from a third party (i.e. a company or trust for which a related person is a director or trustee).

Financial help does not include a commercial loan from an authorised deposit-taking institution listed by the Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority.

Established home

A home that has been lived in previously.

Final inspection certificate

This document proves that your home is approved as a class 1a dwelling and is usually given to you by your builder. Learn more about the stages of a building inspection.

Lot and plan number

Every property will have a lot and plan description. These are stated in the property section of your contract. Most councils include the lot and plan on rates notices. You can also use the Queensland Geocoder to find this information.

New home

A new home is either:

  • a house, apartment, unit or townhouse that has never been
    • occupied as a place of residence
    • sold as a place of residence
  • or

  • a substantially renovated home (completed by the seller in limited circumstances).

From 1 December 2020, a home acquired under a ‘builders’ terms arrangement’ may also be a new home. See Public Ruling FHOGA006.2.

Off-the-plan home

An off-the-plan purchase is a single contract to buy a new home and the relevant interest in the land, which is a proposed lot on an unregistered plan resulting from a subdivision. In some cases, the property may not have been built yet. For example, the purchase of a unit in a unit block, where the unit’s individual lot and plan description will not be available until the strata title has been registered.

You do not have an off-the-plan contract to purchase if you have both a vacant land contract and a building contract.

Permanent resident

A person who holds a permanent visa, or is a New Zealand citizen with a special category visa, as defined by the Migration Act 1958 (Cwlth).

A New Zealand citizen with a special category visa must have a current New Zealand passport to be a permanent resident.

Registration confirmation statement

This is the document that proves that you were recorded as the registered owner(s) of the property at the time you acquire it. Contact the Titles Registry for a current title search (to show you own the property) if you don’t have this document.

Related person and relative

Generally, if a related person is providing financial help—and may live in or use the home frequently—that person can be a parent, child, grandparent, sibling, uncle or aunt of an applicant, or the spouse of any of these.

If you are building on land belonging to a relative, that person can be a parent, grandparent, child, stepchild or sibling of an applicant, or the spouse of any of these.

Relevant interest

A relevant interest may be described as an interest held by an individual in a property that grants them legal entitlement to, and a right to occupy, the home. Generally, the interest holder is the registered owner of the property.


A person who is one of the following:

  • married
  • a de facto partner (who has lived and is living with the other person on a genuine domestic basis for 2 years or more, regardless of gender)
  • a registered partner (under the Civil Partnerships Act 2011).

Taxable supply

For a renovated house to be eligible for the grant, the seller must prove that the sale is a taxable supply, in line with section 9.5 of the GST Act.

The seller must be:

  • registered (or are required to be registered) for GST
  • selling the house in the course of their business or enterprise.

Unencumbered value

The value of the property being transferred disregarding any encumbrance; for example, money owed under a mortgage

See section 8A of the First Home Owner Grant and Other Home Owner Grants Act 2000 for a full definition.

Vendor statement

This is a statement from the seller. It must show the name and title of the person authorised to sign it. If the vendor is a company or trust, the statement should be on their letterhead.

For newly built homes, it must state that the home has not been previously occupied or sold as a place of residence

For renovated homes, it must confirm:

  • the home has not been previously occupied or sold as a place of residence since the renovations
  • the type and extent of renovations
  • the sale of the home is a taxable supply under the GST Act and was in the course of the seller’s business.