Skip links and keyboard navigation

Find your immunisation records

Some records are kept centrally in national and state databases, however you should always keep records of all immunisations given to you or your child.

Recording vaccinations

Immunisations given to children between birth and 7 years of age are entered into the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR). ACIR began in January 1996 and does not hold records of vaccinations prior to this date.

Immunisations given to children between 7 and 18 years of age are not recorded on ACIR. You and your doctor should keep records of any additional immunisations. Use the Personal Health Record book you received when your child was born to record infant and adolescent vaccinations.

School Immunisation Program vaccinations are recorded in the Queensland Department of Health's vaccination database.

The National HPV Vaccination Program Register records details of Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccinations.

Accessing records

Child records

You can get a copy of your child's immunisation records held on ACIR:

You can access records of immunisations received through the School Immunisation Program through your doctor or vaccination provider.  If you cannot remember who provided the school immunisation service, call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84).

You can access records for privately purchased vaccines (such as travel vaccines) given to children through the doctor or immunisation provider who gave the vaccination.

Your doctor or immunisation provider will need your consent to access your child’s immunisation history on your behalf. You will need to provide your child’s Medicare number to obtain vaccination records from ACIR.

Immunisation history statements

An immunisation history statement says whether a child is ‘up-to-date’ with their vaccinations. This can be:

  • an official record issued by ACIR
  • a letter from a recognised immunisation provider (e.g. your GP or immunisation nurse).

These may be required when enrolling your child at an early childhood education and care service. Check with your service to find out what their policy is.

Adult records

Most adult immunisations are currently not recorded on national or state registers.

To find past immunisation records, you can ask the doctor or immunisation provider who vaccinated you to check their medical records for:

  • adolescent vaccinations given before 2007, when the statewide School Immunisation Program began
  • childhood vaccinations given before 1996, when ACIR began.

Due to privacy requirements, details of records held by Queensland Health are given to doctors or immunisation providers, not directly to individuals.

Call the National HPV Vaccination Program Register on 1800 478 734 to access HPV immunisation records for adolescents and adults.

Information privacy

Queensland Health is bound by law to comply with rules for the collection and handling of personal information. Your details are always subject to strict confidentiality and privacy protections contained in State and Commonwealth legislation.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
30 October 2015

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *