Checkpoint 14 - Online files must be optimised
All web resources and assets should be optimised for performance. This includes images, stylesheets, scripts, PDF, and PowerPoint.
Benefits of conformance
- Optimisation of assets ensures smaller file sizes and fewer HTTP requests for faster downloading of pages.
- Responsive web experience for all users, including those with low bandwidth fixed or mobile internet access.
Risks of non-conformance
- Increased download times due to larger file sizes.
- Possible migration to other, more expensive channels due to slow response times.
There are many ways to optimise web resources for online delivery; some key areas of focus are:
- keeping markup as lean as possible
- reducing the number of HTTP requests required for each page by combining asset files where possible
- reducing asset size by minifying and/or compressing file contents
- ensuring assets are cacheable by optimising server configuration
- sharing central assets to reduce redundant downloads of identical assets.
The supporting information for this checkpoint provides more information about how to optimise for online delivery.