Protecting yourself online
On this page you can find the latest information to help you manage online safety issues.
If you are in immediate danger, or at risk of harm, phone Triple Zero (000).
Staying safe is your number one priority.
Key eSafety issues
Visit the eSafety Commissioner website to find useful information about key eSafety issues to help you stay safe online.
eSafety for young people
Visit the eSafety Commissioner's eSafety young people hub to find out more about issues such as cyberbullying, digital reputation, gaming, online abuse, privacy, security and understanding consent.
The eSafety Commissioner deals with 3 kinds of reports.
If you are under 18 you can make a complaint about cyberbullying or online bullying:
- Report cyberbullying.
- Find information on making a cyberbullying complaint.
- Find out how to collect evidence to make a report.
If you are over 18 you can make an adult cyber abuse report:
- Report cyber abuse.
- Find information on reporting adult cyber abuse.
If an intimate image has been shared, or someone has threatened to share it without your consent, you can make a report:
- Report image-based abuse.
- Find information on making an image-based abuse report.
- Find out how the eSafety Commissioner handles image-based abuse reports.
Illegal and harmful content
The Cyber Report team investigates complaints and assists in getting content removed:
- Report illegal and harmful content.
- What the Cyber Report team can investigate.
- What the Cyber Report team can’t investigate.
Counselling and support services
If you are experiencing any form of online abuse, you don't need to face it alone. You can find support groups and get legal advice.
Find a support service that's right for you.
- Explore online safety advice and resources in other languages.
- Take the technology check-up to help put you in control.
- The Australian Cyber Security Centre is a secure reporting and referral service for cybercrime and online incidents that may be in breach of Australian law. Visit their website to find out more information.