Skip links and keyboard navigation

Education support plans

An education support plan helps you get the most out of school and overcome problems you might be having with your education. Your plan may include:

  • what your education needs and goals are
  • what help and support you will need to reach your education goals.

How do I get a plan?

You will be involved in developing a plan when:

  • your school is told that you have been placed in out-of-home care with a foster or kinship carer, or in a residential placement.
  • you move schools.

A support plan meeting to discuss and develop your plan is arranged between yourself and your:

  • parents or family members (only with your permission)
  • school teacher/s, principal and guidance officer
  • Child Safety Officer (CSO)
  • carers.

During the support plan meeting, you can talk about:

  • your educational goals and plans
  • what you're good at and enjoy doing
  • what you want help with
  • what you need at school to reach your goals
  • sport and friends.

What can I do?

To help get the plan that best suits your needs, you should:

  • talk to your CSO, carer or teachers about what your goals are, and what you think about your education
  • go to the support plan meeting and ask questions like:
    • what support and help can I get to meet my goals?
    • who can help me?

After the meeting, you’ll get a written copy of your plan and information about the outcome of the meeting.

When is my plan reviewed?

Plans are reviewed at least once a year or when anything happens in your life affecting your plan.

More information

For more information about education support plans, talk to your:

  • CSO
  • teachers, school guidance officer or year coordinator from your school
  • carer.
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
30 May 2012
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.