Skip links and keyboard navigation

Temporary permits for vehicles registered overseas

Before you arrive in Australia

To bring a vehicle into Australia, you need to make sure you have the right approvals that let it enter the country and to be driven on our roads. For a vehicle that is registered overseas and is being brought to Australia to use on a holiday, you will need a Carnet de Passages en Douane (CPD) issued by the motoring association in your home country (or in Canada if you are from the United States of America). Australian Customs and Border Protection Service has more information about carnets and temporary imports.

It is important you organise the right approval for your vehicle before it is shipped. If a vehicle arrives in Australia without the right approval, it will not be allowed to enter the country or used on our roads. You may also have to pay substantial storage fees until you either take the vehicle out of Australia or the correct approvals are issued.

Foreign defence personnel on exchange

Foreign defence personnel who are in Australia on exchange with Australian Forces are allowed to bring their overseas vehicle with them for personal use under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA).

To bring a vehicle to Australia under this agreement, the defence member must obtain a vehicle import approval issued under SOFA, issued by the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development.

Driving your vehicle in Queensland

You will need an overseas visiting vehicle (OVV) permit to drive a vehicle in Queensland that has been imported using a CPD.

An OVV permit recognises your overseas registration and allows you to drive the vehicle in Queensland during your visit. There is no fee for an OVV permit.

Your vehicle is only eligible for an OVV permit while its overseas registration is current. We cannot issue a permit if your overseas registration is expired and you aren't able to renew your overseas registration.

How to apply for a permit

To apply for an OVV permit, you need:

  • a completed overseas vehicle permit application (F4975)
  • your current passport
  • a Queensland compulsory third party (CTP) insurance certificate—see this list of licensed insurers
  • your overseas vehicle registration documents
  • your CPD
  • a left hand drive permit—if your vehicle has steering on the left hand side of the vehicle (vehicles over 4.5t GVM only).

Bring all of these documents to a transport and motoring customer service centre, or if you are in a rural area, you can visit a QGAP officeMagistrates Court or local police station that provide these services— please call to confirm before visiting.

Left hand drive vehicles over 4.5t GVM

If your vehicle is over 4.5t GVM and has its steering controls on the left side of the vehicle, you will also need a left hand drive permit before an OVV permit may be issued. Left hand drive permits for heavy vehicles are issued by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator.

Disposing of your vehicle

A vehicle issued with an OVV permit cannot be sold in Australia. The vehicle must be taken out of Australia by the expiry date on the import approval.

You can dismantle the vehicle for parts only if your Carnet de Passage en Douane allows for this. You will need to contact the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development for approval to dismantle, otherwise you must export the vehicle.

Changes to Compulsory Third Party insurance

Find out about the National Injury Insurance Scheme Queensland, a lifetime care and support protection which started 1 July 2016.

Last updated
12 September 2016
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.