Conditional registration explained

Conditional registration is registration for non-standard vehicles that do not comply with the standard regulations for registration and have a genuine need for limited access to the road network.

The non-complying vehicle catalogue provides a list of approved non-standard agricultural, construction and recreational vehicles that may be conditionally registered.

Vehicles that comply with normal registration requirements are not eligible for conditional registration. This includes truck-based mobile machinery and cranes.

Conditional registration:

  • gives you limited access to Queensland roads
  • gives you the protection of compulsory third party (CTP) insurance in the event of a crash occurring on a road causing personal injury
  • determines the conditions for use to ensure safe operation of the vehicle while on a road.

Conditionally registered vehicles must comply with the conditions for use outlined in the Safe Movement Guideline – Conditionally registering a vehicle in Queensland.

The Department of Transport and Main Roads recently completed a review of the content of the existing Guideline for Conditionally Registered Vehicles. Following the review, a new Guideline has now been finalised. Changes to the existing Guideline which came into effect are mainly cosmetic and are summarised below.

New title


  • The layout has been redesigned to make it more user-friendly including structuring the document in convenient parts.
  • Appendices have been adopted into the Guideline itself.
  • Tables have been developed for the condition codes.


  • The content of the Guideline has been updated to ensure consistency with the current policy for heavy vehicle access permits.
  • Vehicle Standards Instruction (General 27.1) has been embedded into the guide itself.
  • The Guideline has been revised to include only relevant and necessary information.

Vehicles that may have conditional registration

Vehicles that may be conditionally registered include some agricultural, construction and recreational vehicles.

Examples of vehicles that may require conditional registration include:

  • forklifts
  • tractors
  • graders
  • harvesters
  • 2, 3 or 4-wheeled recreational vehicles.

Do I need to conditionally register my non-standard vehicle?

In Queensland, it is illegal to drive a non-standard vehicle on the road without conditional registration. You may be fined if you don't have registration and if the vehicle is involved in a crash, you may not be covered by insurance.

If a non-standard vehicle is not being driven on a road (see following definition of a road), and is only used on private property, then it may not need conditional registration.

Definition of a road

The definition of a road under Queensland law includes areas such as:

  • shopping centre car parks
  • railway crossings
  • areas open to the public for use as a road
  • road-related areas—areas that are part of a road and include areas such as footpaths and nature strips.

You may wish to obtain legal advice if there is any doubt to whether an area you are operating your vehicle is considered a road.

Limited road access available for conditional registration

There are 3 categories of road access allowable under conditional registration:

  • limited access registration—vehicles are predominantly restricted to worksites and designated areas
  • zone access registration—vehicles are allowed to travel on road for distances of 20km, 40km or 80km—depending on their areas of operation in Queensland
  • unrestricted access registration—appropriate vehicles will be allowed unlimited access but may still have conditions that apply to the time of operation.

Apply for conditional registration

You no longer have to complete a vehicle registration application form when visiting a transport and motoring customer service centre.

If you are attending a QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides registration services, you will still need to complete a vehicle registration application (F3518) and, if it’s your first time doing business you will also need a new customer application (F3503).

To register your vehicle in Queensland, you need to:

If you intend to conditionally register a vehicle for recreational purposes, it is recommended that you obtain access approvals from the land or road owner as well as the Queensland Police Service prior to applying for registration. The vehicle will not be able to be used unless the relevant access approvals are held.

Conditionally registered vehicles may not be able to access certain roads; including those within Queensland's state parks and forests. Prior to applying for registration, you should confirm if your vehicle will be able to access the area you intend to use the vehicle in.

Take the documents with you to your nearest transport and motoring customer service centre or if you live in a rural area, you can visit a QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration services.

Mandatory helmet requirements

It is a requirement for quad bike riders and the drivers of utility off-road vehicles as well as any passengers carried, to wear an approved motorcycle helmet when the vehicle is operating on a road or road related area.

The requirement for the operator of a quad bike or utility-off road vehicle and their passengers to wear a motorcycle helmet is a requirement under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management-Road Rules) Regulation 2009. Failing to comply with the mandatory helmet requirements will result in a fine and the incursion of 3 demerit points. This offence will also be subject to existing motorcycle helmet double demerit point penalties. If 2 or more motorcycle helmet offences are committed within a 12-month period, the second and subsequent offences will incur double demerit points.

Exemptions from wearing an approved motorcycle helmet only apply for the driver and passengers of utility off-road vehicles being operated under condition code LO3, provided the vehicle has factory fitted seatbelts and a roll over protection system. There are no other default exemptions from wearing an approved motorcycle helmet for quad bike riders and passengers.

The mandatory helmet requirements apply to quad bikes and the following registration categories of utility off-road vehicles:

Find more information about approved motorcycle helmets and safety gear.

Passengers prohibited on quad bikes and utility off-road vehicles

Children under the age of 8 are prohibited from being carried as passengers on quad bikes and in utility off-road vehicles, as well as any child of any age if they are unable to sit with their feet flat on the floor and hands on handholds.

Do I need an inspection or safety certificate?

No. On the application form there is a section that must be signed by the registered operator verifying that the vehicle complies with the vehicle standards of construction detailed in the Guideline for conditionally registering a vehicle in Queensland—Form 17. There is no requirement to get a vehicle inspection or safety certificate in addition to making the declaration on the application form.

Changes to your conditional registration

If you need to change vehicle details complete a conditional vehicle change of vehicle particulars notification form (F4100), provide proof of identity and take both with you to your nearest transport and motoring customer service centre or if you live in a rural area, you can visit a QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration services.

The changes you make may affect the cost of your registration and CTP insurance – if they do, you will need to pay the difference. You can call 13 23 80 for information about these costs.

Transfer conditional registration

To transfer conditional registration, complete a conditional vehicle registration transfer application (F4101) and take it to your nearest transport and motoring customer service centre or if you live in a rural area, you can visit a QGAP office , Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration services within 14 days of purchasing the vehicle.

The form is in 2 parts—the acquirer and disposer must complete and sign both parts.

Check how to transfer a vehicle's registration to see what documents you will need.


Your CTP insurance will cover you for personal injury claims made against you by other road users including drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists if a crash occurs (subject to the scope of the Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994).

CTP insurance will not cover you for property damage.

Visit the Motor Accident Insurance Commission website for more information about CTP insurance.

Public liability and general insurance

In some circumstances, in addition to CTP insurance, you should also obtain a public liability or general insurance policy.

For more information on public liability and general insurance consult your insurance broker or adviser.