Warrego Highway Upgrade Program
The 796km Warrego Highway is Queensland's principal east-west route, connecting people and freight from Charleville to the Ipswich Motorway and into Brisbane. These improvements are essential to the region's economic growth and will benefit the agriculture, resources and tourism industries.
The Warrego Highway Upgrade Program (WHUP) comprises 15 projects being delivered between Toowoomba and Miles, under a $635 million funding arrangement between the Australian and Queensland governments.
The Warrego Highway upgrades will contribute to the nation's productivity by increasing efficiency, safety and reliability of the National Road Network.
- a $105 million project to extend the 4-lane Warrego Highway from Nugent Pinch Road to west of Charlton. Completed in July 2016
- a $155 million project to extend the 4-lane highway from the stage 1 project a further 4km westward to Kingsthorpe. Construction expected to start first quarter 2017.
Toowoomba – Oakey duplication stage 3
- a $2 million project to plan the 4-lane highway constuction from Kingsthorpe to Oakey.
- a $44 million project to provide additional overtaking lanes at regular intervals and in both directions. Construction commenced late 2016 and completion scheduled for August 2017.
- a $59 million project to upgrade the highway and improve safety at the various intersections and accesses from adjacent industrial development on the western outskirts of Dalby. Construction due to start second quarter 2017.
- a $56 million project to upgrade the highway and improve safety at the various intersections and accesses from adjacent industrial and commercial developments on the eastern outskirts of Dalby. Construction due to start second quarter 2017.
- a $16 million project to upgrade safety at the open level rail crossing at Chinchilla.
Chinchilla Heavy Vehicle Bypass Strategy
- a $1 million project to investigate the need for a future heavy vehicle bypass around the township due to growth in highway traffic, population and commerce.
Jingi Jingi Creek upgrade
- a $36 million project to replace the deteriorated culverts and construct a new concrete bridge. Construction scheduled for completion second quarter 2017.
Jondaryan - Sabine Road intersection upgrade
- a $6 million project to improve the intersection at Sabine Road, Jondaryn so heavy vehicles have safe access to the highway. Completed January 2017, ahead of schedule.
Brigalow – Chinchilla upgrade
- a $36 million project to widen 11km of the highway on the eastern approach to Chinchilla. Construction completion expected first quarter 2017.
Dalby – Miles overtaking lanes
- a $35 million project to provide additional overtaking lanes at regular intervals in both directions. Construction scheduled to commence late 2017.
Miles western access upgrade
- a $24 million project to widen and rehabilitate the highway on the western outskirts. Construction expected in 2018.
Oakey – Miles safety upgrade
- a $40 million project of road treatments to improve the safety on the busiest sections of the highway. Construction start scheduled for early 2017.
Drillham – Palardo upgrade
- a $11 million project to widen narrow sections of the highway to a safe standard for heavy vehicles.
Disruption to travel due to road works on the Warrego Highway west of Toowoomba should be factored in to your travel plans. Please be patient and observe all road signage and traffic management instructions.