E-scooter trial in Brisbane
TMR has issued a permit for Lime e-scooters to be used in a trial around the Brisbane CBD.
The trial will help us understand how these devices operate locally, including their interaction with existing infrastructure and road users, particularly pedestrians.
TMR has issued the permit under strict conditions to ensure the trial is carried out safely and responsibly.
Lime e-scooters are fitted with an electric motor of no more than 300 watts and have a maximum speed of 25km per hour.
Riders must meet the following conditions when using a Lime e-scooter:
- A helmet must be worn at all times
- Riders must not use e-scooters on the road, unless crossing the road or avoiding an obstruction on the footpath. If riders need to be on the road it must not be for more than 50m
- Riders are not permitted to use on-road cycle lanes
- When riding on footpaths, shared paths, separated paths and bicycle paths, riders must give way to pedestrians and keep to the left wherever possible. Riders must not use the ‘pedestrian only’ side of a separated path and must not use e-scooters in areas displaying ‘no Personal Mobility Device’ signs
- Riders must consider their speed when around pedestrians
- Riders must be at least 16 years of age, or 12 with adult supervision
- Additional passengers, using a mobile phone and drinking alcohol while riding an e-scooter are not allowed
- Front and rear lights must be used at night.
Responsible and respectful operation of the devices will ensure all path users remain safe.
If you witness unsafe or illegal riding behaviour please contact your local Police station.
To contact Lime about the trial you can call their customer service line on 1800 861 305.
TMR is investigating changing the laws relating to innovative personal mobility devices to enable a broader range to be used in Queensland, like the Lime e-scooter. More information will be provided as available.