Skip links and keyboard navigation

Update your address or personal details on your licence

If you hold a Queensland driver licence, you must tell the Department of Transport and Main Roads within 14 days if you change your name or address.

When you tell us that you have changed your name, address or gender, all products you have with the Department of Transport and Main Roads in your name will be updated, including your:

  • driver licence
  • marine licence
  • industry authority
  • adult proof-of-age (18+) card
  • ship registrations
  • vehicle registrations.

There is no fee payable to change your name, address or gender.

Address standards

We have a database of valid addresses that is provided by Australia Post. It is based on their delivery address database and is updated every 3 months. Some new addresses may not yet be in the database. If your address isn’t in the database, you won’t be able to update your address online.

If your address doesn’t match any of the addresses in the database, it might be automatically corrected. You should use the address shown on an official bill such as your rates, electricity or phone bill.

Interstate address

If you are the holder of a Queensland licence you cannot have an interstate residential address but you can have an interstate postal address.

Change of address

How to update your address

When you notify us of your new home address, always write or say your address exactly as it appears on your household bills (e.g. your rates or electricity bill).

Once you have advised us of your change of address, within 10 working days you will get a label showing your new address to put on your licence.

To update your address, you must do 1 of the following:

If you update your address by post, send your letter to:

Department of Transport and Main Roads
PO Box 2211

Your letter must include your:

  • full name
  • customer reference number (driver licence number)
  • date of birth
  • old and new address
  • signature.

How to change your address online

I want to change my address online >

You can update your address details online. When you tell us that you have changed address, your residential and postal address will be changed for your:

  • driver licence
  • vehicle registration
  • marine licence
  • industry authority
  • adult proof-of-age (18+) card
  • recreational boat and personal watercraft registration.

Addresses you can't change online

You can only change your address as an individual. Contact Transport and Main Roads if:

  • you need to change the address of a business or organisation
  • your garaging address is different to your residential address
  • you change to an address that isn’t a valid address, as provided by Australia Post.

Change of name

To change your name on your licence, you must:

  1. print and complete an application form (F4214) (PDF, 35KB)
  2. visit a transport and motoring customer service centre with:

Your replacement licence with your new name will be sent out to you.

Change of gender

If you have changed your gender, you must submit a letter on a consulting psychiatrist's or psychologist’s official letterhead stating the following or substantially similar:

This is to certify that (new name), (new sex), formerly known as (previous name), (previous sex), has been undergoing treatment on a gender re-assignment program and should now be regarded as permanently (new sex).

To change your gender on your licence, you must also:

  1. print and complete an application form (F4214) (PDF, 35KB)
  2. visit a Transport and Main Roads customer service centre with

Your replacement licence with your new name and gender will be sent out to you. There is no time restriction for notifying a change of gender.

Last updated
15 September 2014

Page feedback

Your privacy

Information collected through this form is used to improve this website.

Any information you submit that could identify you (e.g. name, email address) will be stored securely, and destroyed after we process your feedback.

  1. This page was
  2. We want this information to be the best it can be and we know we can’t do it without you. Let us know what you thought of this page and what other information you would like to see.

    We do not reply to feedback. Contact us if you need a response.

  3. Contact (optional)