Sport programs and events
- Find sporting or recreational events near you through Events Queensland.
- Check out what’s on at Queensland stadiums and major sporting facilities.
- Ask your local council about sporting events in your area.
- Check with the state sport or recreation organisation for your activity—they may have a calendar of events.
Sport and recreation programs
For women and girls
- The Start Playing, Stay Playing: getting women and girls active for life encourages women and girls to become more active. It offers practical information on how to get started.
- Some sport and recreation organisations have programs aimed at women and girls.
For people with a disability
- Access sport and recreation resources for Queenslanders with a disability, their families, carers and friends.
- Find organisations that can help people with a disability get involved with sport.
Swimming for children
- Public pools and aquatic centres in Queensland offer great opportunities for kids to get involved in swimming.
- Some stadiums open their pools to the public.
- Your local council will generally have a list of aquatic centres near you.
- Your local school may have a pool that is open to the public.
- Swimming Queensland (the peak body for swimming activities in the state) can help you get your child involved in swimming.
Kids and sport at school
Teachers play an important role in motivating their students to play sport and become active. If you're a teacher:
- read ideas for teachers on how to make physical activity part of the daily teaching program
- The 'how to' guide comes on a USB key with videos of games and activities, and lesson plans that you can print. View what's in the guide and how to order it.
- learn how to get kids active through early childhood programs
- get recognised accreditation in coaching, officiating and sports first aid through the Get Active Queensland Accreditation Program—you can start with a free General principles of coaching course
- visit the National Sport Information Centre (NSIC) for print and online resources for teachers, physical educators, students, researchers and sport enthusiasts.