COVID SAFE Active Clubs Kickstart
Supporting the continued delivery of physical activity opportunities for the Queensland community by not-for-profit local and regional sport and recreation organisations.
On this page
The COVID SAFE Active Clubs Kickstart program supports the sport and active recreation community to restart activities as COVID-19 restrictions ease and is part of the Sport and Recreation COVID SAFE Restart Plan.
The program provides funding of $2,000 to assist not-for-profit local and regional sport and active recreation organisations re-establish their operations in a COVID-safe environment. Funding is available for equipment, training and operational expenses.
Under Round 1 of the program, over 3800 sport and active recreation organisations received $7.6 million in funding to support their activities and encourage Queenslanders to return to play.
The objectives of COVID SAFE Active Clubs Kickstart Round 2 are to:
- ensure appropriate resources are available for Queenslanders to participate in local physical activity experiences
- strengthen capability of sport and active recreation clubs and organisations and their volunteers to provide quality experiences.
5 May 2021 - Applications closed
30 June 2022 - Projects must be completed
Who can apply
Your organisation needs to meet the following criteria to apply.
- registered with an ABN; and
- local or regional level Queensland not-for-profit sport or recreation organisations or not-for-profit community organisations (with an objective of sport or recreation) incorporated under the:
- sport or recreation clubs incorporated within a Queensland university.
At the time of application, your organisation must:
- have no outstanding compliance issues with the Office of Fair Trading of more than 6 months
- have no debt owing to the department.
Before applying for this program, contact the Office of Fair Trading or telephone 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or your nearest Sport and Recreation office to determine whether the organisation has any outstanding compliance issues.
Funding of $2,000 (GST exclusive) is available. The total project cost can exceed $2,000 however, your organisation must pay the difference.
Your organisation can only apply for funding under 1 of the following categories as your primary focus:
- education and training
- coaches and officials
- resources and equipment
- on field (bats, balls, nets)
- off field (software, hardware)
- operational expenses
- utilities (water and electricity)
- ground and facility maintenance
- COVID related expenses
- hygiene products and hand sanitisers
- event plans.
The following activities will not be funded under the program:
- capital works or fixed structures (e.g. shade sails and stands)
- discreet consultancy (except COVID SAFE event plans) without any education/training for the organisation (e.g. developing a Strategic Plan/grant application or administration fees)
- feasibility studies/research
- prizes/giveaways/alcohol/recognition items/merchandise
- wages of ongoing/seasonal nature (e.g. paid coaches).
How to apply
To apply for funding under this program, your organisation must be registered in the Sport and Recreation Grant Registration Portal (GRP).
Applications must be submitted using the online application form by 5pm on Wednesday 5 May 2021.
Please note that the online applicant portal is not compatible with mobile devices.
If further assistance is required to complete the online application, email SRSGRPortal@npsr.qld.gov.au or call 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
If your organisation receives funding, you will need to appropriately acknowledge the Queensland Government in any promotion of the project.
- Refer to the COVID SAFE Active Clubs Kickstart Round 2 guidelines for more information about the program and requirements.
- Please read the Terms and Conditions before submitting an application.
- This initiative is part of the Sport and Recreation COVID SAFE Restart Plan.
- Find out more about support for returning to play for clubs and organisations.
- View the list of previously approved applicants from Round 1.