Heart Foundation Walking
Heart Foundation Walking is a community-based walking program that aims to increase the community's participation in regular and enjoyable physical activity.
Implemented by the Heart Foundation, this initiative offers a cost-effective model for establishing regular walking groups within your local community.
It is an accessible, convenient, safe and free physical activity program. Over 4500 walkers participate in the program, with another 80 joining each month.
The program received Queensland Government funding for implementation statewide until June 2012.
How does the program work?
A coordinator from a local agency, such as a local council or community health centre, supported by a local working group and the Heart Foundation, recruits and supports a number of volunteer walk organisers from the community.
These walk organisers are assisted to establish small walking groups in their local area. The Heart Foundation provides the walk organisers with resources and support to help them in developing and maintaining their groups.
What resources are available?
A full range of program and promotional resources is available to help coordinators and walk organisers. These include:
- a step-by-step guide to coordinating Heart Foundation Walking
- in-service training and support for the coordinator and working group
- training support for walk organisers
- all the resources necessary to establish and maintain Heart Foundation Walking groups such as booklets, registration forms, attendance logs and merchandise
- market-tested advertising for television, radio, newspapers as well as posters and flyers for use in your community
- quarterly newsletters to coordinators, walk organisers and walkers
- program evaluation
- assistance to access support from other agencies.
To find out if there is a Heart Foundation Walking group in your area, or if you would like to organise a walking group visit the Heart Foundation website, contact the Heart Foundation on 1300 36 27 87 or email@example.com.
All walkers receive a booklet which tells them everything they need to know about the program.
By being registered with the Heart Foundation you will also receive free newsletters.