Awards and recognition
Prizes and scholarships to recognise and reward artists are listed here.
- Queensland Music Awards.
- The Grant McLennan Fellowship is an annual fellowship for Queensland song writers, providing the opportunity to travel to New York, London or Berlin. It was established in honour of Grant McLennan of The Go-Betweens.
- The Billy Thorpe Scholarship is an annual scholarship for an emerging musician to establish a professional career.
- The Carol Lloyd Award is an award for an emerging female singer-songwriter to get a head start in their career.
- The Percival Portrait Award is North Queensland’s portrait competition to promote Townsville’s identity. It is held every 2 years at the Perc Tucker Regional Gallery.
- The Telstra National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art Award is an annual award for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander art.
- The Matilda Awards are an annual event that celebrates the achievements of the Brisbane theatre industry.
- The Helpmann Awards are Australia’s awards for live entertainment.
These awards are administered by the Queensland Poetry Festival:
- The Val Vallis Award for an Unpublished Poem is named in honour of a distinguished Queensland poet, the late Val Vallis. It is open to poets from all over Australia.
- The Thomas Shapcott Poetry Prize is named in honour of distinguished Queensland poet Thomas Shapcott. This prize is for an unpublished manuscript by an emerging Queensland poet.
- The XYZ Price for Innovation in Spoken Word recognises the growing field of spoken word, named after Arts Queensland Poet in Residence, Emily XYZ.
Recognition in the arts
- The Gallery and Museum Achievement Awards are presented by Museums and Gallery Services Queensland. These awards are open to all Queensland museums, galleries, historical societies, keeping places and other related cultural organisations and the people who work in them.
- Local councils may offer local awards and prizes for artists.