Programs for children and young people
Recreation groups for kids
There are a range of different recreation activities that you can get involved in through a local club or organisation. For example:
- the Australia Defence Force offers a youth leadership program for young cadets
- the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award promotes challenge, adventure and achievement for young people aged 14–25
- Scouts Queensland encourages and promotes the physical, intellectual and social development of young people
- Girl Guides Queensland provides flexible education through values-based training in life skills, decision-making and leadership
- the Girls Brigade Queensland is part of an international program that covers a wide range of activities that help the physical, mental and spiritual growth of children
- Orienteering Queensland has a range of activities for young people
- the state sport or recreation organisation that looks after your chosen recreation activity may be able to help you find a club in your area.
Sports clubs for kids
- Your local council may have a list of clubs you can join. For example
- Browse the list of national sporting organisations on the Australian Sports Commission’s website to find state and national clubs for your sport.
- People with disability can join in social sport, too.